Suggestions on my new bike????

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Whats up everybody my name is Adam. I bought a cheap Diamondback from a chain store last year and immeadiatly fell in love with the sport. Im looking to upgrade to a 29er that I can have for a while and possibly upgrade as I go (my budget is $900-$1000). Any suggestions on brands I should shop? Ive been looking at the Trek Mamba and Giant Taloner but like I said Im still a bit new and their are so many options out there. Thanks guys

I would definitely look at Trek. Their "lower end" 29er hardtails seem to have better componentry and value than other brands I have found. Look at the Mamba, but you may even be able to find a shop to sell you a Cobia for the upper end of your price range.

With that said, try and ride several different brands. Certain people prefer different brands for different reasons and only you can really tell what you like. Spend some time talking to guys at different shops and riding as many different brands and models as you can. Also, remember that you can upgrade components as you go so make sure to get a bike with a good frame.

Don’t rule out the Talon either- Both are great bikes and try and test ride each one to see which bike fits and handles better for you… Happy Talon Owner 😃

The Airborne Goblin is a great bike at a great price: http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx

"mtbgreg1" wrote

The Airborne Goblin is a great bike at a great price: http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx

Agreed on the goblin… although I have never ridden one, the fork alone makes it a better value, especially when combined with the component selection that they offer. You gvet a lot of bike for the $$.

"fatlip11" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":3w4lygfk]The Airborne Goblin is a great bike at a great price: http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx

Agreed on the goblin… although I have never ridden one, the fork alone makes it a better value, especially when combined with the component selection that they offer. You gvet a lot of bike for the $$.[/quote:3w4lygfk]

This just in: Airborne just officially announced their new budget-minded 29er: the Guardian. http://www.airbornebicycles.com/product … rdian.aspx It’s a crazy-low price if the $1100 price tag on the Goblin is too much.

Wow, that’s a crazy good price.

Seriously. $600… That blows my mind

And the components aren’t *that* bad, really. Easily rideable for a season and then upgrade over the following winter. 😃

Yeah if you’re on a really tight budget, it’d be a great buy. If you want nicer components the goblin would be a good buy.

The head and seat tube angles are a little on the steep side for out here in the mountains. The reason for the steep seat tube is to move the bottom bracket back and make toe clearance. You end up paying for it in longer Chainstays.

I would swap out the 100mm fork for a 120mm to slacken the head angle to 70.5 and then ride it like I stole it! 😎

It appears to be the exact same frame as the Goblin, just in red instead of green.

"adam.spraker" wrote

Whats up everybody my name is Adam. I bought a cheap Diamondback from a chain store last year and immeadiatly fell in love with the sport. Im looking to upgrade to a 29er that I can have for a while and possibly upgrade as I go (my budget is $900-$1000). Any suggestions on brands I should shop? Ive been looking at the Trek Mamba and Giant Taloner but like I said Im still a bit new and their are so many options out there. Thanks guys

Hey Adam. Welcome to mountain biking and Singletracks. Personally, I think that people that ride 29 inch wheels are confused. 😕 I roll 26, so I guess I have nothing else to add. There are some knowledgeable folks on here though that can help you with your decision…even if it is for a 29er. 😃

Good luck and keep us posted.

thanks for all your help everybody. I was leaning towards the Taloner but it comes with a Suntour fork and I was told to try and get one with a Rockshox. Are Suntour forks junk?

They work ok, but they lack useful adjustments and are not able to be serviced: when they wear out they are throwaways.

"adam.spraker" wrote

thanks for all your help everybody. I was leaning towards the Taloner but it comes with a Suntour fork and I was told to try and get one with a Rockshox. Are Suntour forks junk?

I’m 220 and have taken some 2-4 ‘ jumps and never bottomed out the fork at all. Rides the rough stuff great with no issues what so ever. Ride it for a while and upgrade when you have to. Fork has given me zero issues. But see if you can try them out before you buy a bike or look up the reviews n each one..

Good luck and let us know what you decide on- be sure to post pics 😃

I was in a similar situation about 3 months ago — buying my first new mountain bike in 17 years!

I ended up getting a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 at my local REI and I love it. It retails for $799 (but if you’re an REI member you’ll get $80 of that back).

http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/mo … er-4-20758

Good luck!

Lots of great companies to choose from. It can be intimidating. Don’t forget to check brands like khs, felt, and jamis. All good companies. Just expand your search and find the best bang for your hard earned $$$. Happy hunting 😃

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.