Suggestions for fast down hill turns and tight twists

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Suggestions for fast down hill turns and tight twists

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been riding for about 4months now and really enjoying it. The past week, I have been getting more confident and trying the more difficult/advanced trails. I am not so intimidated by steep descents and killer climbs. The adrenaline rush is just awesome! I am getting a bit more disciplined in my technique for reading the trails up ahead by keeping my head up. One thing though that I continue to struggle with is taking tight turns at high speeds. I have been focusing on turning with my chest leading and turning my hips in to the turn while pushing down on the outside pedal and leaning my inside knee in to the turn. I’ve also lowered my tire pressure from 50’s to 36psi. All of this has really helped but i still find myself fluttering the brakes a bit too much which has sometimes lead in to some nasty slides and pretty impressive wrecks. Since i am still a bit of a newbie, i am not discouraged but I would certainly like to hear some tips from the veterans. How do you guys maintain a good rhythm and speed in down hill turns and tight turns in general?

One thing I learnd quickly, and you may already have down, is to remember that wherever you are looking is where you are going. Keep your eyes on the path you want to take.

CP1

Hey bro, as a Carter, Alafia, and Balm rider as well, I highly recommend that you learn the very key essential skill of hip-turning (also known as the hip-flexion), and this can be done at speed or crawl speed. Make sure that you turn your knees into the turn and hip toward the outside of the turn. Like twisted your body and bike into the turn. It works so damned well, and will allow you to rail a berm, semi-berm, full or half camber turn, and also a switch-back (not matter how tight or aggressive the turn or switch-back). Watch the video below to perceive what I am speaking of. Excellent training video, and very easy key essential skill move….

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/265915/

Another thing like ‘nickrm’ mentioned is of great importance….Always scan ahead of your riding path, never right in front of you bro. Looking in front of you will only cause you to make mistakes and possibly carnage resulting from it. As you are approaching your turn (whatever it may be, how small, including a switch-back), scan the beginning, then as you start entering the turn, you will be scanning the exit (not in front of you). As you are exiting the turn, you will be scanning ahead of you a bit.

It is like riding a skinny, if you are looking down right in front of you, chances are you are going to get a screwy and fail. Always scan ahead of yourself in all trail features, obstacles, turns, and just plan pedaling on straight flat trail. As ‘nickrm’ mentioned…."where you look is where your bike is going to go", so if you look at the turn itself right in front of you, then you will have issues hammering or railing them at speed. Anytime ya need a hands on lesson bro, just give me a shout, and i can make plans to make it over that way one day.

One good thing to do is to watch, ride, and learn from more experienced riders than you. A good lesson to be learned will come from this… 😉 😆

"CP1" wrote

Anytime ya need a hands on lesson bro, just give me a shout, and i can make plans to make it over that way one day.

One good thing to do is to watch, ride, and learn from more experienced riders than you. A good lesson to be learned will come from this… 😉 😆

I may take you up on that once you have fully recovered from your last ride.

CP1
      "ebjr" wrote

I may take you up on that once you have fully recovered from your last ride.

Anytime bro, anytime! I probably have another month of total healing, as these two antibiotics I am taking (taking three time a day) seems to be helping along with the last surgery this past Tuesday on the elbow/forearm area to drain the blood and blood clotting. They have it compressed right now, and I am getting much more movement in the shoulder, elbow, and forearm. I can ride right now, but only easy pavement riding though without any fun… 😆

I did ride a very easy dirt trail today, and had a blast. Much improvement all together, but still cannot lift up or twist (bar turns) the bars a whole bunch, just a little. I did good today though, but did hurt the shoulder and elbow a slight bit on some big roots… 😏

"CP1" wrote

[quote="ebjr":2acooowt]I may take you up on that once you have fully recovered from your last ride.

Anytime bro, anytime! I probably have another month of total healing, as these two antibiotics I am taking (taking three time a day) seems to be helping along with the last surgery this past Tuesday on the elbow/forearm area to drain the blood and blood clotting. They have it compressed right now, and I am getting much more movement in the shoulder, elbow, and forearm. I can ride right now, but only easy pavement riding though without any fun… 😆

I did ride a very easy dirt trail today, and had a blast. Much improvement all together, but still cannot lift up or twist (bar turns) the bars a whole bunch, just a little. I did good today though, but did hurt the shoulder and elbow a slight bit on some big roots… 😏[/quote:2acooowt]

Wow! Hate to thread jack, but I hope you have a speedy recovery!

CP1
      "nickrm" wrote

Wow! Hate to thread jack, but I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thank you very much!! 😃 😃 😃

CP1

Another thing ‘ebir’, you can always practice this skill of hip-turning in your yard, sidewalk or street. Good places to start…. 😄

"CP1" wrote

Another thing ‘ebir’, you can always practice this skill of hip-turning in your yard, sidewalk or street. Good places to start…. 😄

Much like Happy Gilmore.. "its all in the hips"

Haha I’m sorry I couldn’t resist

CP1
      "nickrm" wrote

Much like Happy Gilmore.. "its all in the hips"

Haha I’m sorry I couldn’t resist

😆 😆 😆 …..No worries bro, as humor is the healing for ones soul… 😄

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.