Suggestions for a new full suspension bike

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking at getting a new full suspension bike and just wanted some suggestions on the bikes that I have been looking at. I would rather not spend over $1800 but if I could get real good quality bike I would go up to $2000. I would prefer a bike with 29" or 26.5" tires. Here are the bikes I’ve been looking at:

Norco Faze – [url:kqt29keg]http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/cross-country/faze/faze-93/[/url:kqt29keg]
      Kona Precept – [url:kqt29keg]http://www.konaworld.com/precept.cfm[/url:kqt29keg]
      Giant Anthem – [url:kqt29keg]http://ziggyscycle.ca/product/14giant-anthem-x-29er-3-193685-1.htm[/url:kqt29keg]
      Cannondale Lexi 3 – [url:kqt29keg]http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/product/view/id/30543/s/lexi-3/category/936/[/url:kqt29keg]
      KHS Bajada – [url:kqt29keg]http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2014-khs-models/bajada-14/[/url:kqt29keg]
      Specialized Safire – [url:kqt29keg]http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/safire/safire[/url:kqt29keg]

"Kalina Gooderham" wrote

I would prefer a bike with 29" or 26.5" tires.

I think you mean 27.5. I believe the media isn’t supposed to tell us that the 26.5 wheel is the only viable size until they’ve saturated the market with their current only-viable size of 27.5, sometime around Interbike 2016.

Sarcasm aside, I can’t speak for many of your prospects, but can speak very highly of the Giant Anthem. I’ve gotten to ride one for an extended period of time and absolutely loved it. I was amazed at the bang for the buck. Also, it’s now available in 27.5 and 29 inch, so whatever size you decide, you’re covered.

Other more knowledgeable members should be along shortly to help you out with your decision, but whatever you end up deciding on, let us know what you think of it!

"schwim" wrote

[quote="Kalina Gooderham":1yjx1bmg]I would prefer a bike with 29" or 26.5" tires.

I think you mean 27.5. I believe the media isn’t supposed to tell us that the 26.5 wheel is the only viable size until they’ve saturated the market with their current only-viable size of 27.5, sometime around Interbike 2016.

Sarcasm aside, I can’t speak for many of your prospects, but can speak very highly of the Giant Anthem. I’ve gotten to ride one for an extended period of time and absolutely loved it. I was amazed at the bang for the buck. Also, it’s now available in 27.5 and 29 inch, so whatever size you decide, you’re covered.

Other more knowledgeable members should be along shortly to help you out with your decision, but whatever you end up deciding on, let us know what you think of it![/quote:1yjx1bmg]

Yes that is what I meant.. typo!
      Thanks for your imput on the Anthem. Hopefully some more people jump in and give their inputs. There are so many nice bikes out there I’m having a hard time deciding on one!

It looks like the Kona is the only one with any SLX components (albeit only the front derailler). The others all come with lower end deore and alivio components. I personally have been fairly happy with the deore/alivio combination that came on my old hardtail but it could definitely be improved on. I am a fan of Fox shocks and the Specialized has a Fox rear (I have a 2011 Specalized Camber Pro that came with Fox).

Honestly, I would go to the bike shop and test ride and see what feels best. Choose that one as that is the major factor. Also have you considered buying used? Bikes depreciate rapidly, I found my Specialized on Craigslist and picked it up for less than half MSRP and it looked brand new.

"rwmtb" wrote

It looks like the Kona is the only one with any SLX components (albeit only the front derailler). The others all come with lower end deore and alivio components. I personally have been fairly happy with the deore/alivio combination that came on my old hardtail but it could definitely be improved on. I am a fan of Fox shocks and the Specialized has a Fox rear (I have a 2011 Specalized Camber Pro that came with Fox).

Honestly, I would go to the bike shop and test ride and see what feels best. Choose that one as that is the major factor. Also have you considered buying used? Bikes depreciate rapidly, I found my Specialized on Craigslist and picked it up for less than half MSRP and it looked brand new.

Thanks for your opinions! I will definitely be test riding the bikes first but it will just be in the bike shops parking lot so I wont get a real good feel for the bike. I’m also looking at used but the selection in my area isn’t the best (near Toronto, Ontario).

Kalina,

What kind of trails are you expecting to ride ? Smooth singletrack, gravel road, technical ? I overlooked all of your options and for the same price i think you should look for 29′ hardtails that would come better equiped. A quick personnal tip concerning Shimano components, make sure you have at least Deore or better, especially for derailleurs.
      If you really want double sus, i think you should pay a little more for better components.
      If you really really want double sus and want something in your list, i think the Anthem is the best bang for your buck.

Avoid the Norco, Kona and KHS.

I agree with phil05. Not saying every MTB bike magazine knows what its talking about but there is a general consensus that if you are staying below $2000 a high end 29" or 650b hard tail is the way to go. The FS bikes at that price point are often very heavy, have lower end parts, and lack the adjustability of the higher end FS bikes. But, they make and sell FS bikes at that price point so people are out riding them.

I test rode the Kona Precept around a bike shop parking lot. I rode up some parking curbs and onto the sidewalk several times, but that was the extent of my test ride. I liked the Precept and considered buying it. I have not tested any of the other bikes that you have listed. Giant does make good bikes. I also test rode a hard tail Giant Talon 27.5 – 4 and I also liked that one.

I always suggest to test ride several bikes before making up your mind. Another option is to rent several bikes and take them out to the trails. A parking lot test ride is sometimes just not enough.

You can think about Airborne also. Their X7 Hobgoblin has pretty good specs and at 1825 shipped is a good deal for the price.

"Doomed" wrote

You can think about Airborne also. Their X7 Hobgoblin has pretty good specs and at 1825 shipped is a good deal for the price.

Sweet bike for the price! I’d ride one.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.