Stupid question…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

This only came up because two bike shops gave me contrasting answers…

Where does SRAM X-5 stand in comparison with Shimano Deore?

It really depends on what component it is, but I have both and I prefer the shimano deore.

It’s just hard for me to understand…I’m in the market for a new bike, and it seems that everything’s just confused.

For example, the Fisher Piranha and Tassajara have X-5, while the Marlin has Deore…

Also, the Trek 6000 has X-5, while the one under it has Deore…

I really like the deore trigger setup I have on my tassajara, but both are good componentry. I would really like to stress that components are secondary to getting the best frame, wheels, and fork/shock you can afford. Worry about the expesive stuff, drivetrain is cheap in the long run.

"Hypocrisy_Kills" wrote

This only came up because two bike shops gave me contrasting answers…

Where does SRAM X-5 stand in comparison with Shimano Deore?

Some people just like SRAM and some like Shimano. I have Deore on my old hardtail and X-9 on my main ride and like it better due to the positive shirting you get over the older Shimano. My guess is the X-5 and Deore are similar in performance. If you ride hard enough to notice the difference between the two, you’ll probably upgrade soon anyway. FWIW, you can get a Deore derailleur for $20 online.

I know, this probably didn’t help at all.

The SRAM has a completely different trigger setup than shimano. SRAM triggers are both push (for all the ones that I have tried). The two triggers set right on top of the other, and both push triggers. For me, this makes it hard because I have big hands and it is a tight squeeze for the thumb to fit it. The Shimano (which what I have on both of my bikes) provides better ergonomics for myself. On trigger is push, the thumb trigger, and the other is a pull trigger, used by your pointing finger (if any of that makes any sense to anybody). Both are comparable, but the choice depends on the type of setup that you like.

Some people I know swear by SRAM but I must agree with sparzjensen, I wasn’t a big fan of the dual thumbshifters. I too have big hands and kept accidentally downshifting while riding due to the placement and sensitivity of the thumbshifter levers. Now I am back to good old shimanos which do the trick for me. One feature I did like about the SRAM shifters is the ability to downshift quickly through all 9 gears with one thumb push, but how often do I need such drastic shifting? Not often enough.

I have two bike’s,one with a rear deore derailer and one with a xtr derailer and I would take the deore just as well as the xtr derailer.xtr rear derailer;$185,,,,,deore rear derailer;$14 on clearence online or normally around $20 to $30 depending where and how you time your shopping.

I have had some issues with accidentally downshifting with my SRAM triggers…I’ll hit a root and my hand will jam into the trigger.

Thanks everyone =)

I just bought a bike with SRAM and other than that accidental shift problem, I’m pleased with it. In time I’ll become better able to critique things like this…

cjm

Try pushing you shifter farther inboard. I have rather long thumbs and there is about an inch and a half between the end of my grip and the shifter. I normally set mine based on my thumbs. I move the shifter inboard until the tip of my thumb makes just solid enough contact with the push button to shift it. That should naturally leave the shift lever where you can get a solid four gears of shifting from it.

Are you a beginning rider???If so,put the shifter’s where there supposed to go(look it up if you have to)and disipline yourself to deal with it and you will learn to not shift accidentilly,although it just happen’s to the best of em somtime’s.Riding positoin is not something you get from other people and unless you have longer thumbs or some kind of physical differential,just ride the bike like it was meant to.
      I had grip shifter’s on my first mountain bike and use to shift accidentily when I was climbing a long smooth trail,alhtough when I climbed a trail that had tree root’s and other obstacle’s I found myself gripping more to the outside of the handle bar’s to get more leverage on the front wheel to steer better.
      I think you just need to realize that just moving your hand postion even one eighth inch or a quarter inch will help this problem as you keep riding.

Unwanted accidental shifting is why I switched back to shimano… well, that and I had durability concerns regarding SRAM, but I tend to be rough on bikes.

cjm

That’s curious because because the trail and my garbage can are filled with broken Shimano parts. With the exception of the Saint line-up. My Saint cranks have outlasted the Norco Shore frame they were on when purchased. The only reason I replaced the Saint changer was that the spring wore out and it would often take two clicks to get it to shift one gear. That changer outlasted two Shimano shifters. Other than Saint, it’s always seemed to me Shimano never stopped make components with road bike durability in mind. You’ll get a very similar discussion with Marzocchi forks, though. For some they are bomb proof, others feel they can crack them with a stout sneeze.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.