Stumpjumper fsr comp 29er or Rumblefish Elite?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Im in the market for a new bike. I’m going from a 29er hardtail and want a FS. I’m torn between these two bikes (the stumpy & rumblefish elite) and they are similarly priced around 3k which is what i’ve set a budget for.(give or take a few hundred $) I ride hard and like the technical stuff and live in an area with tons of Intermediate-Advanced trails nearby. Any input and opinions would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first FS and a "Serious Purchase" Thanks

This probably doesn’t help narrow it down, but have a look at the Giant Anthem X 29er that’s also in that price range. I just scored a leftover 2011 for $1,800. (Anthem X 3)

I’ll check into that one. Thanks for the suggestion. The only drawback for me is that my LBS is Trek and Specialized and want to support the shop due to the great support he has shown me.

Of those two, I would go Specialized.

I hear good things about both the Rumblefish and Stumpy FSR….I don’t think you can go wrong! The Anthem is more of a XC/endurance bike where the Rumblefish and Stumpy are designed for more aggressive trail/AM riding.

A few things to consider:
      -which one fits best?
      -which one has components you like better?
      -weight?
      -price?
      -if they’re at different LBS, which one would you rather work with?

The one shop i deal with sells both brands. If i’m correct they both weigh close to the same at around 29lbs. for a large frame. I’ve spent a little time on both bikes (no trail rides though) and both bikes feel like a good fit yet are different in their own way if that makes any sense. I’m leaning towards the specialized as "dgaddis" stated. I have a tendancy to be rough on equipment 😼 and like to ride everything from XC to some sketchy downhills and rocky stuff. I’ve even recently gotten into some local racing though i’m not out to have the lightest bike and win every race i like to ride and compete with fellow riders and travel to trails i wouldn’t normally ride. I guess you could say i’m looking for a bike that will handle a little bit of everything. I think both are up to the task but its gonna come down to preference as previously stated by others.

Another question. The "Fish" has a 3×10, the Stumpy has 2×10. pros and cons?

I’m riding a 2×10 right now and I really like it. However it’s not for everyone as you end up climbing in a slightly taller gear than you’ll be used to.

Thanks maddslacker. Definitely something to consider because there are times that i am very fond of my granny gear. 😆

The thing is though, once you get used to it, it makes you quite a bit faster on climbs.

Thanks man. Im new to this site and grateful for the opinions and help. Yet another reason im attracted to this sport is the mountain bike community itself. Good people.

"maddslacker" wrote

The thing is though, once you get used to it, it makes you quite a bit faster on climbs.

True. But, if you’re into big days in the saddle, at the end of the day you just may not have the energy left to push the bigger gear.

2×10 shifts better. But 3×10 has a wider range. Which one you want is up to you!

I’m completely sold on 2×10, even where I live (lots of climbing) but I would definitely recommend spending a day demo’ing one before you decide.

What about the DRCV fork on the trek? Anyone have any experience or opinions on this? Its about the only other major component difference. The small differences I can live with or swap out. Fork on the other hand gets too pricey for me to buy a different on.

"dgaddis" wrote

2×10 shifts better. But 3×10 has a wider range.

Can you explain what you mean by the 2×10 shifts better? I understand the wider range thing of the 3×10, but not the better shifting.

I’m guessing it has something to do with the chainring sizes in front, but that’s just a SWAG.

"Jared13" wrote

[quote="dgaddis":x3o1kwic]
      2×10 shifts better. But 3×10 has a wider range.

Can you explain what you mean by the 2×10 shifts better? I understand the wider range thing of the 3×10, but not the better shifting.

I’m guessing it has something to do with the chainring sizes in front, but that’s just a SWAG.[/quote:x3o1kwic]

Well for one thing, with a 2×10 system, you don’t have to worry about cross-chaining up front, so the whole shifting scheme is much, much simpler.

I’m a big fan of the 2×10 system for almost all places, except for possibly in the Rocky Mountains where a bigger range would be advantageous.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

…except for possibly in the Rocky Mountains where a bigger range would be advantageous.

wimp! 😆

Agreed on being able to use the whole cassette from either chainring, it’s very simple and effective.

So you can use the entire 10 cogs in a 2×10 system compared with 6 or so in a 3×10 system?

Yes

Ive been doing a little research on the 2×10 vs. 3×10 myself. This is the best I have found so far. [url][http://bikestuffreviews.com/2011/02/23/sram-2×10-review/][/url] It explains it very well.

Thanks Weedy. That was very informational. Any thoughts on taking the 3×10 on the rumblefish and changing it to a 2×10 with a low weight bash guard? Would that equal out to less cross chaining and still having the benefits of the lower gearing in a 3×10? 💡

If you are coming from a hardtail and you want to do some races, I would also check out the 4" travel Specialized Epic. I rode 4-5" bikes for years and, after adding in some serious road riding, got tired of the bob and inefficiency on the trail. They have really improved the brain shock. My 29er Epic pedals great and will ride all the same stuff my last 5" Trance did, and better. I’m loving it. Good luck.

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.