Stuck pedal

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I just bought some frog pedals for my month old bike and I spent two hours today just try to get my current pedals off…I know that the left side is clockwise to loosen and the right side is counter clockwise as well.

At first I used a park tools 15mm wrench to take them off and the wrench would warp before the pedals would even budge, then I tried using an adjustable wrench and then a hammer against said wrench…I even broke out some boiling water to pour over them…no luck.

Am I pretty much screwed? I think I will just end up taking it back to the bike shop I bought it and hopefully they have a better tool for this kind of thing.

Yeah dude,if you cant get them off by yourself,then by all means take it to the local bike shop(LBS).Somtimes you gotta get pretty creaative to get those things off,did you try liquid wrench or somthing like that?OR,one of my favorites is the cheater bar,you can get as much leverage as you want as long as you got a long pipe that will fit over the end of the wrench so you can get extra leverage.
      You said you were bending the park tool wrench?Man,you must have some good preasure on it,let us know how it goes……………

Wow that sound like some serious amount of torque placed on those pedals. In fact too much torque. If you can’t get them off by the methods already mentioned by all means take it back to the shop where you got the bike from… Perhaps the Gorilla that put them on can take them off as well. They really should have been torqued in place and like Chilli said, with some anti seize or at least some grease on the threads.

Sometimes getting a shop quality pedal tool will help, they are made thicker so they will not bend.

Cheers

Thanks for the responses..after trying some WD-40 this morning and failing, I just took it to the LBS where they had a huge pedal wrench with a foot and a half long handle (I only have the 15mm wrench with like a 4 inch handle) and it came off no problem.

Test drove the new frog pedals and loving them so far, though I’ve never ridden on SPD’s or Egg Beaters to compare.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

That sounds great bro! Glad to hear you got them off on way or another. They can be a pain to dismount at a latter time if you do not utilize a anti-seize. You would have to allow the WD-40 to soak at least overnight for it to be effective, but you still would have to have leverage to break the threads loose. I remember busting a couple knuckles and shearing off the skin one time trying to break the threads loose trying to remove my pedals. Don’t know what frog pedals are but I wish you the best riding on them.

I put some grease on the new pedals before installing them. Also here’s a link to the frogs:

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frog

If you think you might ever be swapping these out yourself in the future, get one of these:
      Park Tools

Pedro’s

Yeah, it’s amazing. One note, the Pedro’s and Park work about equally from a torque perspective, but the Park has a much more comfortable handle.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.