stuck hydraulic brake

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I recently bought a bike with hydraulic brakes and I’m liking them. However, twice in the past few weeks I’ve seen guys dragging their bikes off the trail because they said their hydraulic brakes had locked up in the closed position. Does this happen often and how can I fix it if it does?

I’ve yet to see that after two seasons on my hydraulic brakes. (Myself or riding buddies)

Never experienced that either.

From time to time the brakes do need to be serviced. What may have happened is that the seal dried up and is not allowing the pad to retract.

Remove the caliper off the bike mount.
      Remove the pads and try to push them back into the bore of the caliper one at a time.
      Use the box end of the wrench to do that.
      Cycle the piston a few times by squeezing the brake…Just keep and eye and make sure you don’t go to far, otherwise your going to push the pistons out..
      Again push the pistons back in and repeat.
      This helps lube the piston and prevent seizure.
      At that time double check the pads to make sure you have adaquate friction material…((Minimum .6mm))
      Also make sure that there is no crud that is hanging up the pad in the caliper.
      Re-assemble and then make sure the caliper is centered again.

Depending on the brand of brake you may want to consult the owners manual and bleeding would be a good idea too..

I bleed the brakes once a year sometimes twice…But that is me and I do ride…A lot.

Cheers

I’ve seen this happen on motorcycles before. Crud may be holding the caliper piston in the on condition. Just smack the caliper and the pistons will spring back in most cases. Brake fluid is not as stable as a cable so it needs to be changed. 😄 Later,

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.