Street tires for my mountain bike?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

I was wondering what tires you would put on a mountain bike to commute in the city. I go trail riding about 2 or 3 times a week now. But i also ride in my neighborhood etc etc so i dont have to always take my truck to any little place. I have noticed tho that the tires that came with my new Giant Yukon FX are wearing down awfully fast. So i was planning on ordering the same kind of rims it came with and having street tires put on them and switching up depending on what kind of riding im going to do that day. I love the Kenda Nevegal 2.1’s it has but im really killing them quick on the pavement. What would you guys reccomend? Thanks in advance.

Riding a mountain specific tire (such as your nevegals) on pavement is the fastest way to wear them down. The soft rubber compound isnt made to handle the concrete and the tread isn’t designed to give a good contact patch on it either. Go to your local bike shop and ask to see their "city" tires. Just about every major mountain bike tire company also makes city/road tires in regular 26" or 29" sizes. They will have better tread patterns for road riding and a more durable rubber compound as well. Actually, if you are riding a 29er, 700c road tires will also fit on most 29" mountain rims as well as long as the rim is not too wide.

I use my old hard tail to commute to work on pavement, and I installed Bontrager Hard Case Comfort tires on it. They’re a little pricey, but they are AWESOME!

I installed Bontrager Hard Case Comfort tires on it. They’re a little pricey

How much were they slacker??I went with the Kenda K-Rads at $40 a tire and like biohazard wants to do,I put together a second set of rims to make the change of tires an easy one.The K-Rads are really smooth on the concrete and pavement and work pretty well on the hard dry pack trails out here in colorado in case I have to.The K-Rads have a max psi. of 85 so they’ll pump up quite a bit to roll nicely.

Same price, but I got them slightly used for $20 for the pair.

They also do 85psi. They have a puncture resistant case and I have encountered broken glass and goatheads with no issue.

On dirt they are, um, interesting…

Leave it to maddslacker to always have the answer. Always appreciated dude. I will definately try those out. I had a Raleigh s-30 that took the 700c tires. I think it was a 28 inch wheel if im not mistaken. I loved that bike to do city commuting. I love my new bike and the way it rides but the Kenda Nevegals are wasting fast when i ride around town.

I think it was a 28 inch wheel if im not mistaken. I loved that bike to do city commuting.

Since you mentioned it, time for a fun fact of the day…

A 29" wheel is actually not 29" nor is it 700mm as the 700c name implies (the "C" actually refers to tire width). It’s usually closer to 24"-25". The tire width brings the wheel closer to the advertised 29".

There are so many different tire sizing systems out there that some people will call a tire a 29", some will call it a 700c, some refer to it as 622mm by the ISO system, and even 28" tires by the northern european designation.

Even among tires that are readily recognized as 29" tires, the actual width can vary somewhat significantly depending on how wide the tire is and how wide the rim itself is.

This accounts for [i:30kp3isp]one[/i:30kp3isp] of the many reasons that SOOOO many tires that are [i:30kp3isp]listed[/i:30kp3isp] with the same sizes, but from different manufacturers, seem to be somewhat different in size when you actually get them on your rim.

for a street tire you have to try the Micro Knobby from ITS (Intense Tires) I wrote a review on them a while back and I have to say they hold out great..I use them as a wheel to kick around on the city streets. They are so fast and have tremendous grip on improved surfaces.

Usually I am up one or two gears compared to a proper mountain tire.

Thanks guys for the responses. I really like those Kenda K-rads. Low cost, durable and from all the reviews im reading fast for what they are. And mt LBS carries them at all times. Seems like a great tire. We’ll see 😎

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Yeah, those K-Rads are pretty good tires and would work good down there at Markham, Oleta, or Amelia. I have one of the 24" K-Rads set up for my FR rig when I want to do some serious FR (a 26"/24′ combination). Very fast rolling tires!

Well i was planning on slapping the Kenda Nevegals on to go to Markham. I was mainly gonne get a new set of wheels to have with the krads for mainly cruising around home, street and light trails maybe around my house. And slap the Nevegals back on when i go to the parks. Do you think the Nevegals are too much for those parks? I loved them when i went to Markham. Do yopu think the K-rads are good enough to take them to those parks?

Yeah man definately helps. This and the MTBR boards are definately the best and most helpfull sites i have found for mountain biking. I really appreciate all the answers 😎

"maddslacker" wrote

They have a puncture resistant case and I have encountered broken glass and goatheads with no issue.

Goatheads?

Can we make this a sticky somewhere for all the riders back east? 😆

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

haha this again. it’ll be okay, don’t get upset. we don’t have the same issues you have there and vice versa.

It’s kinda funny to watch people who are new to this area when they head off across a field and pick up 50 or so of them in one shot.

psssshhhhhttt

cussing usually follows

I wonder how well Stan’s holds up to that abuse

i bet. getting a flat is always a funny thing to me so long as it ain’t me and the other person is prepared to fix or replace the tube/tire.

"element22" wrote

I wonder how well Stan’s holds up to that abuse

Quite well, I’ve heard.

I run TrueGoo tubes myself.

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.