Storing MTB bike upside down, hanging from ceiling.

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Storing MTB bike upside down, hanging from ceiling.

--
SHARES

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  gregval 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Can you store the full suspension bike upside down, I’ve heard mixed opinions on this , I don’t think the front fork will leak, some say it will help the seals stay oiled. Wondering about long term issues, have been storing bikes upright till now. Thanks

Yep. If your forks leak, your seals/wipers need replacing. Upside-down won’t cause it though.

It shouldn’t affect your suspension. At least mine are fine.

Yeah, if your fork is leaking, it’s because something is wrong. Not because you’re storing upside down.

If you’re hanging your bike for long periods of time, I have been told that hanging by the rear wheel will help keep the fork seals lubricated. Of course, you can always flip your bike upside down for a couple minutes before a ride to accomplish the same thing.

All that said, hang away!

your brakes hydraulic fluid can sometimes leak too.

The general problem with hanging a mtn bike has to do with the hydraulic brakes.  If they are pretty well used, you may have an air bubble up in your calipers (even though there is a diaphragm to keep the air out).  As you flip it over, this air bubble can work its way into the hose and lodge into a high point.  Then the brakes get mushy and won’t operate well.  You will have to work out the bubble.