Steel vs Aluminum

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I got on my my Steel 29er for some trail riding this morning and immediately noticed a huge difference from riding my aluminum 69er, it was like buttah! Now, having both 29er wheels on this rig adds some cushion over the 69er but everything felt so much more comfortable on the steel frame than the aluminum frame. The Aluminum frame feels stiff and less forgiving.

Why aren’t more people riding steel?

Price?

I don’t because a Heckler doesn’t come in steel. ;) 😆

I haven’t ridden a steel frame since I was a kid. I would like a steel hardtail SS, but I think it’d be priced out of my reasonable range.

Price?

I don’t because a Heckler doesn’t come in steel. ;) 😆

I haven’t ridden a steel frame since I was a kid. I would like a steel hardtail SS, but I think it’d be priced out of my reasonable range.

I know there have to be others but the only one I can think of is IF makes a steel HT 26er frame. However, Steel is the rage on the 29er scene.

You can get Monocog 29er or a Ralleigh XXIX (both 29ers and steel) for around $700 and $800 respectively. That is basically SS and Rigid. Check out last month’s MBA on the write up they did comparing the Jamis and Monocog Flight. However, if you wanted to upgrade either, the basic MC or Raleigh, I believe they are not made that way, and you have to either get the MC Flight or I thinking there is a Premium Raleigh frame, too.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.