Stealth electric bike

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Stealth electric bike

Tagged: 

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author

I came across this ad for the Stealth electric bike via the Pinksite.

Two things pop into my mind while viewing.

1) I would love to play with one of these on some private property.

2) I hope I never see one of these things on public trails. They can call it a bike all they want in the ad, but I hope IMBA distances themselves from this thing like the plague. Having some hikers run over at 50mph on public trail will pretty much end our access if people insist on relating to it as a bicycle.

That would be awesome to mess around with. Most Trails however state no motorized vehicles which would include an electric motor. Not that everyone pays attention to that.

As you can see from the ad, they are trying very hard to pass this off as a bicycle with an alternative source of power. "Hey, I rode the bmx track with my son!" "I zipped along on some singletrack trails behind my house!"

There are two groups of people that will make the correlation; those that don’t know any better(like hikers) and those that are simply waiting for any excuse to take away more of our riding areas. The latter know it’s not a bicycle but that won’t matter much when they use it against cyclists.

That’s why I think it might be beneficial that IMBA denounce these things and say they’re of the devil before it snowballs into something that will bite us in the ass.

I do Concur on that point. For the people that want nothing more than to take something away or keep it to themselves this would be the perfect storm. I’m of the frame of mind that really it is an electric motorcycle but after rewatching it you are exactly right they are modeling it up as a Bike that can run on a motor not a motorcycle with pedals.

I agree, much more like a little motorcycle with pedals. I wonder if they market it as a "stealth" bike specifically for moto riders who want to poach singletrack trails but can’t because of how loud their motor is?

I know quite a few guys who are big into motos around here and they’ve poached trails before that were highly off limits, even for a mountain bike. They’ve been ticketed once or twice, too, but whenever the topic of poaching on a mountain bike comes up, they’re always like "nah, there’s no way we’d get caught. Mountain bikes are so quiet!" I’m still a little leary of breaking the law, but I wonder, and am a little scared that, most throttle twisters will see this as a way to access some trails they’ve always wanted to ride but couldn’t because of the noise of the motor loudly announcing the laws they’re breaking.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

but I wonder, and am a little scared that, most throttle twisters will see this as a way to access some trails they’ve always wanted to ride but couldn’t because of the noise of the motor loudly announcing the laws they’re breaking.

That’s exactly what both the ad and the name seem to be implying. Take your electric motor— we mean bicycle(wink, wink) and go ride some trails at 50 mph.

On your bicycle.

Honestly, I think the moto guys will think these bikes are the dumbest thing ever and us MTBers are obviously against them as well. Not to mention that ridiculous price tag (they cost between 7 and 10k.) I don’t expect a plague of these tearing up our local trails any time soon…I expect to see them fall off the market due to lack of sales.

Altough. Imagine what this e-bike could do for overweight bike cops! The mall cops around here have already turned to segways 😆

I don’t get it… If you want to ride singletrack get off your ass and pedal a mountain bike. If you want to go 50-60 mph get a dirt bike. I feel the moto guys will look down on this. Its sort of like selling a Harley-Davidson guy a Moped and telling him its better…

"PSUtuna" wrote

Its sort of like selling a Harley-Davidson guy a Moped and telling him its better…

😆 right!

Yea… as fun as that thing looks, I really don’t see it catching on if for no other reason than the price tag. The average person who rides isn’t going to be dropping that much on something that doesn’t have an actual set purpose. It’s stuck somewhere in between a bicycle and a dirtbike with the price tag of a street bike. 😏

I think what you guys are failing to consider is the fact that the first on the scene is always expensive. It’s the Chinese and Taiwanese knock-offs that follow that bring it to the masses. WalMart’s fatbike, for an example. It’s not that this partiuclar bike exists that causes concern. It’s that cheaper and more available models are sure to follow.

I’m not saying that we should expect a few hundred on the trails in the next year but there doesn’t need to be many floating around to really throw a wrench in the works.

"schwim" wrote

I’m not saying that we should expect a few hundred on the trails in the next year but there doesn’t need to be many floating around to really throw a wrench in the works.

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. One or two on a trail in Boulder could be enough to cause widespread havoc! Also, I don’t think we should consider the current price tag to be a barrer for another reason: there’s always someone out there that will have enough money to buy it. While maybe you or I can’t afford it, there are plenty of other people who can.

Dude, you guys are sillyness. Kinda like why do we have disc brakes on our mtb’s? Because it came from motorcycles. Or why do we need suspension when you should not be on those rocks anyway. Your screwing up the climbing and kicking trails. Give me a break!

There is a time and place for everything, and obviously electric bikes are a reality. Considering there record sales world wide and all the manufactures are doing it. I think we are lucky to have manufactures producing something I want.

Why me, because I ride obviously in places where I hate to shuttle. Pollution driven car, with kids waiting to jump of big rocks, in hopes of one day being a pro. LOL.

Dude these bikes are cool and offer suspension and braking I would want on my bike of any kind. Im stoked to get further back and out of the way of hikers and such. Then peddle when I want to, give it power when I need it. Sorry I placed my order yesterday.

You guys can whine all you want, but don’t whine to much the technology is there and its cool. Really cool actually. You can buy your china garbage because you cried so much you made it reality. But I will be on a Stealth. Loving the country and not listening to you.

Fur

And you guys thought there wouldn’t be anyone stupid enough to pay that for an electric motorcycle.

"schwim" wrote

And you guys thought there wouldn’t be anyone stupid enough to pay that for an electric motorcycle.

😆 😆 Trying to decide if that post is worth replying to. I could tear it apart in so many ways…

I wouldn’t bother. They got a notification of their product and just came to defend it.

First off, that thing is awesome! I would totally love to try one! And I have to agree with both of Greg’s points. One or two of those on the trails out here would result in a disaster for us out here in NorCal.

The other point is where most of our trails are, the income level is extremely high. They are probably spending that much on their mountain bikes and wouldn’t bat an eye lash at putting that into an electric bike.

"schwim" wrote

I wouldn’t bother. They got a notification of their product and just came to defend it.

Definitely! Cut and paste PR post. Gotta give credit for such a quick response from them!

Indeed. Now if only we could get him to actually read the thread so he wouldn’t waste time bashing us because he thought we wanted a Chinese version of his abortion.

Yeah, its funny, we didn’t bash the tech at all. In fact I think we all commented on how cool it was! Looks like they made it pretty robust.

Schwinn wrote" And you guys thought there wouldn’t be anyone stupid enough to pay that for an electric motorcycle."

http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=30212

http://www.forbes.com/sites/pikeresearc … in-europe/

Looks like the rest of the the world gets the picture.

"emtb" wrote

Schwinn wrote" And you guys thought there wouldn’t be anyone stupid enough to pay that for an electric motorcycle."

http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=30212

http://www.forbes.com/sites/pikeresearc … in-europe/

Looks like the rest of the the world gets the picture.

Alright, I’m going to bite.

First, those articles are addressing e-bikes on the road. On the road, I personally don’t have a problem with e-bikes. There are all kinds of motorized vehicles on the road.

What I [i:2bnallxo]do[/i:2bnallxo] have an issue with is these e-bikes with motors on trails where motorized traffic is prohibited. That’s going to make it very difficult for to maintain trail access for bicycles that don’t go 50 mph in the flats.

Kinda like why do we have disc brakes on our mtb’s? Because it came from motorcycles.

Yes, lots of technological improvements came from motorcycles… but not the MOTOR part. Because when you add a motor, a bicycle ceases to be a bicycle and instead becomes a motorcycle.

There is a time and place for everything, and obviously electric bikes are a reality.

Yes but that place is NOT on the mountain bike trails. If you want to ride an e-bike on a paved, open road, that’s great, just keep it off the singletrack.

I think we are lucky to have manufactures producing something I want.

How the heck do you figure WE are lucky to have people manufacturing something YOU want? Sounds like YOU are lucky. I’M not lucky because I’m not interested in an e-mtb.

Why me, because I ride obviously in places where I hate to shuttle. Pollution driven car, with kids waiting to jump of big rocks, in hopes of one day being a pro. LOL.

Well this might be just me, but I don’t need a motor to get to the top of my descent. If you don’t want to ride up in a car, then man up and pedal up the mountain before you ride back down it. And don’t give me some excuse about the route being too long there being too much climbing. I’ve ridden 100 miles on my mountain bike with NO motor, I’m pretty sure I can handle it. 😼

Dude these bikes are cool and offer suspension and braking I would want on my bike of any kind. Im stoked to get further back and out of the way of hikers and such. Then peddle when I want to, give it power when I need it. Sorry I placed my order yesterday.

You guys can whine all you want, but don’t whine to much the technology is there and its cool. Really cool actually. You can buy your china garbage because you cried so much you made it reality. But I will be on a Stealth. Loving the country and not listening to you.

See gar29’s response about the technology.

"gar29" wrote

Yeah, its funny, we didn’t bash the tech at all. In fact I think we all commented on how cool it was! Looks like they made it pretty robust.

As I see it, you have not a single solid argument for ebikes on mountain bike trails aside from the fact that you want to do it. And no, that does not count as an argument.

I sure don’t think it’s "of the Devil" LOL. Looks interesting, but the problem is, what’s the right place to ride it? I don’t think I’d want to see it on most of the trails I ride. It’s almost gonna need it’s own thing.

mtbgreg1

Great points. But no one is saying you are bashing the tech, so lets leave this point.. The point was maybe your brakes and such are overkill and could be interpreted that way. For example a Stealth or at least the one I am buying has DH capability and helps me get to places I cant peddle. Does that make me a terrible rider because I cant peddle up? No. I can use peddle power anytime I like, with no power. 9 Speeds on the Bomber. I actually rode the bike at a demo before purchasing.. I think you need to take a ride to understand it. If you can peddle all day, awesome. I cant get to my spots for DH without Lifts or shuttles. I guess I am not as good as everyone else. But I still have fun and this is another way.

I think you have a great argument for your trails, but not all trails. I know I try to avoid the popular trails big time. I hate being in the way for hikers. The Stealth is designed for all applications, street included. There is a time and place for everything.

Im not looking to hop on mtb trails at all. Im actually looking for areas with less hikers and further out. Your comments are well taken, but I think we all have several bikes for different purposes. The Stealth is another tool in the shed. Not an enemy but a friend.

Seems hard to be a critic when all the factories and riders from multiple disciplines are trying Stealths.

I love my bike to, I love all bikes. But I don’t hate on one, without seeing its purpose.

I will post a pic when It comes in.

"schwim" wrote

😆 touche’

"emtb" wrote

I think you have a great argument for your trails, but not all trails. I know I try to avoid the popular trails big time. I hate being in the way for hikers. The Stealth is designed for all applications, street included. There is a time and place for everything.

I will post a pic when It comes in.

After looking at these two portions of your last post, I’m not sure if you actually have one or not? This is the hard thing about your posts. The way you are stating your case is very confusing and unclear. It makes you sound like a marketing person doing internet damage control and not a real rider willing to address real concerns cyclists will have about the bike.

I’m sure none of us think this bike is evil, and yes, it has it’s place on the right trails. Just not trails that are not intended for non-motorized vehicles. I would absolutely love to try one of these on multi-purpose trails. Downieville has many areas to ride where this bike would be an absolute blast!

Interestingly, I came across a local Sacramento shop that also sells electric mountain bikes. The product you are promoting actually looks way better for not much more money.

gar29

I thought my comments before were clear.

"Dude these bikes are cool and offer suspension and braking I would want on my bike of any kind. Im stoked to get further back and out of the way of hikers and such. Then peddle when I want to, give it power when I need it. Sorry I placed my order yesterday. "

I’m just a guy looking to ride like everybody else. I’m not a pro, just a guy with a few bikes and soon to be Stealth. But I do like the product a lot. I actually don’t get mine for 30 days 😀 I will follow up down the road on the blog.. I have a days work to do.. best—

"emtb" wrote

gar29

I thought my comments before were clear.

"Dude these bikes are cool and offer suspension and braking I would want on my bike of any kind. Im stoked to get further back and out of the way of hikers and such. Then peddle when I want to, give it power when I need it. Sorry I placed my order yesterday. "

I’m just a guy looking to ride like everybody else. I’m not a pro, just a guy with a few bikes and soon to be Stealth. But I do like the product a lot. I actually don’t get mine for 30 days 😀 I will follow up down the road on the blog.. I have a days work to do.. best—

Must have other forums to troll besides ours…

Reminds me of a scene from Wayne’s World.

"its like people only do things for money… and that is really sad…"

As I lean back on my emtb, wearing my Adidas shoes, hat, wind pants, jacket. Drinking a coke and eating from a bag of Doritos. 😄

I’m just glad they’re using a MX’er to push the product than an MTB’er.

You’ve got to know your audience. Try to appeal to the people that have already proven they don’t like to pedal with their previous purchases 😀

Besides, They probably didn’t have much of a choice. How many well known mountain bikers do you think would have been willing to put the type of slant on it that was in the video?

"Hi! I’m Hans Rey! You know, when I’m not riding my mountain bike, I like to take my Stealth out to some of the best single track the world has to offer and try to get it shut down by riding an electric motorcycle on it!"

Interesting discussion on this here Any way I look at it I see an electric motorcycle. Looks like fun, but where do you ride it? Obviously private land is the best place. Scooters have become quite popular here, but I do not think they are allowed on greenways and bike paths. Would the e-bike be allowed? I don’t know for sure but I am guessing no. We already have enough conflicts with bikes, walkers, dogs and baby strollers. It sounds like they are allowed on European bike paths. Take one on the local singletrack, you might be in for a fistfight. In the video they are ripping berms -literally. I don’t think that would sit well with those that do the trailwork.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

Take one on the local singletrack, you might be in for a fistfight. In the video they are ripping berms -literally. I don’t think that would sit well with those that do the trailwork.

Amen!

O boy, I don’t think I would want to encounter one of those bikes on my local single tracks. Our single tracks have a lot of hikes with dogs. I also volunteer for trail days and would not want to repair that kind of damage on a regular basis.

I have researched electric bike over the last month quite a bit. Was hoping to get something for my wife that was easy to pedal but offered some assist when necessary. She walks with a cane, has joint problems and is balance challenged. She is afraid to go very far on her bike or take any trails that have much of anything for turns and hills.

What I found was disappointing. All e bikes adverise as "the lightest bestest technology on the market that are easy to pedal if the battery runs out". Seems like the e bikes are geared towards unassisted climbs on tough single track like this stealth or a cheap heavy commuter. Either way you are no longer on a bike that is easy to pedal and/or offers assist only when necessary. There are a few e bike concepts with promise but the light ones with promise seem to have a lot of noise associated with them. I didn’t see any assisted bikes commercially available that I would want to pedal without power even on a paved trail.

I could see wanting an e-assist bike for myself for single track a few years down the road to help out on some of the climbs. All the problems associated with opening that door should be addressed by IMBA. Seems to me what might work is rules or legislation that encourages assist only. I would be for some sort of certified bike with a controller that limits assist by taking into account padal force to speed and provides no assist beyond a fairly low threshold of speed. In other words the assist would work for the guy who climbs in granny gear but still takes breaks and never exceeds 7 mph on a climb. Assist would be useless above that speed. This would encourge builders to make bikes or retro kits that pedal excellent and are light weight, not these 50+ lb slob bikes they want to push onto our trails.

I agree, some guidelines need to be in place before someone on a 50 mph e bike runs a hiker’s dog over or spooks a horse into a wild rage. Being pro active at establishing guidelines and imforming the multiuse groups about those guidelines is far preferable to fighting to keep access.

It might be cool but it is still motorized. Any trail or path that does not already allow motorized vehicles these electric bikes should not be allowed.

"brianW" wrote

It might be cool but it is still motorized. Any trail or path that does not already allow motorized vehicles these electric bikes should not be allowed.

I think this is the key. There are a lot of trails that are open to mountain bikes that are also open to dirt bikes already… on those trails, it seems logical that these e-mtbs would be fine. But trying to say that a bike with an electric motor should be allowed on a trail that other motor vehicles are NOT allowed on is problematic.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="brianW":2bhb62a3]It might be cool but it is still motorized. Any trail or path that does not already allow motorized vehicles these electric bikes should not be allowed.

I think this is the key. There are a lot of trails that are open to mountain bikes that are also open to dirt bikes already… on those trails, it seems logical that these e-mtbs would be fine. But trying to say that a bike with an electric motor should be allowed on a trail that other motor vehicles are NOT allowed on is problematic.[/quote:2bhb62a3]

Agreed. And if you are somehow able to talk someone into allowing this, I’d like to hire you as a lawyer. 😆

Geez, this sure gets interesting. Image Image I’d totally love one of those. You could jump it like a dirtbike, and yet it’d be light like a bicycle. I am one of your so called "MX’ers", and I think these things are epic, but they are the last thing I want to see on a MTB trail. Take them to an OHV area…ohhh!!!! 😃

These things popped up on the radar a couple of years ago in Australia, causing a lot of emotion and opposition sentiment from mtbers, myself included.

There were one or two spotted around the place, riding on mtb trails. It was made pretty clear to those who had them that if they were seen on approved singletrack they would be detained under citizen’s arrest until the police arrived, for riding unlicensed on an unregistered and uninsured motorbike. (The power limit for electric assist here in Oz is 250w, a tiny fraction of the 3,000 or so they brag about in their marketing crapola.)

That never happened, since they’ve pretty much sunk without a trace.

Those bogans preferring motos will spend approximately the same money on a moto, and get much better performance. Those preferring to get some exercise will buy a pedal bike.

A solution in search of a problem. I doubt you have much to worry about.

http://forums.mtbr.com/washington/elect … 56596.html

Found this discussion on the Washington State MTBR forum. For the most part they came to the same conclusions that we have, it is motorized and therefore does not belong on a trail which is restricted to non-motorized use.

The way I see it, they most pretty much be a novelty. If you want to ride singletrack, what’s better than a MTB, and if you want to shred berms and hit jumps on a powered bike, why not buy a dirt bike for less than a stealth??? The more I ponder over it it really does seem retarded. As to that video of RR roosting singletrack on a stealth-racers like him seem to get away with it easier than a regular rider does. Maybe because us regular riders are slower! 😃 This: [url:cgreqsb8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q21lG7u487g[/url:cgreqsb8] video makes me laugh every time I see it, because Deegan is such a clown. I might get hammered on here for liking that, but let me say I would never do stuff like that, and us MX’ers aren’t a bad bunch for the most part. Deegan just isn’t a golfer 😆

It seems that many of you are thinking of it as an either/or situation, when there’s many that have more money than common sense and are able to buy all of it. This wasn’t designed to replace a motorcycle or a bicycle. It was designed to get another buttload of cash from someone that already owns both of those.

If you think that there’s not many people that are in that group, just look down the parkinglot at your next mtb race and find the guys that have registered kids in base 3 10-15 beginners and has the 40 ft bus, enclosed trailer, a popup tent and a trainer to keep his pre-teen’s legs warmed up before he hops on his S-Works bike. That’s the guy that might have a 10k electric cycle hidden in the trailer.

Man…scarily enough, you’re probably right. Geez, sometimes I wish people didn’t have some much money 😮

thats a pretty interesting concept. I think it would be pretty awesome to ride but i pretty much agree. it would cause alot of problems on singletrack trails. especially when it comes to hikers and horseback riders. i can only imagine what would happen if you came around a corner on that thing going to fast and ran into a horse. someone would get very hurt. it would be alot of fun though! haha

Viewing 43 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.