starter tools

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I will start taking care of 2 full suspension bikes, and 8 hard tails with 2 air rear shocks, 4 air forks, 4 sets of hydraulic brakes wheel sizes from 26-27.5-29 and no carbon. I have a "shop" set up in my grandparents basement and I am wondering what kind of tools and chemicals I will need to take good care of all of the above parts. I will be starting with little to no tools (basic screwdrivers and a set of pliers).

I have been doing my own bike repairs ever since I was around 10 years old. I have been accumulating tools ever since, and have kept updating to better tools over the years. Here are some tool sets that in my humble opinion should get you a started right:
      1. A good floor pump
      2. A bike tube vulcanizing patch kit with tire levers
      3. A bike shock pump
      4. Chain lube, I like dry lubes the best for MTB
      5. Shop towels
      6. A secure bike repair stand
      7. I love my Craftsman Mechanic set (similar to this one – Craftsman 9-35137 Laser Mechanics Tool Set, 137-Piece)
      8. Some screw drivers

*(For advanced bike repairs) I don’t have these tools. I usually have my local bike shop do this type of work.
      9. Torque wrench 1/4" drive
      10. Chain breaker tool
      11. Cassette lock ring tools
      12. Pedal wrench
      13. Chain whip tool
      14. Three-way spoke wrench
      15. Bottom bracket wrench
      16. Wheel truing stand

Did I miss any other ones?

I am acualy about the age you started and i think that helps a lot

"aewynn0915" wrote

I am acualy about the age you started and i think that helps a lot

That is so cool that you’re doing that. Do you have a local bike co-op place near where you live? They could give you a lot of hands on lessons for repairing bikes. Local bike shops also often have classes.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Start with the easy stuff. Pliers, Allen wrenches, open end wrenches, etc.
      A bike repair stand is an expensive, but very good, investment. It is much easier to do the work that is needed on the stand, as opposed to on the floor.
      As I have advanced in bike maintenance, I have purchased what I needed, as I needed it. If you go out and purchase everything you might need, you could end up with tools you never use.

And remember, if you take care of those tools, they will take care of you.

i planned in starting with a nice set of t-allen wrenches sizes 2-10 and stuff like a bleed kit. I have found and unbranded bike stand that is really much nicer than what i would expect and i am planning on picking that up for $100 as a christmas gift

"aewynn0915" wrote

i planned in starting with a nice set of t-allen wrenches sizes 2-10 and stuff like a bleed kit. I have found and unbranded bike stand that is really much nicer than what i would expect and i am planning on picking that up for $100 as a christmas gift

Allen wrenches are probably the most frequently used tools when working on bikes. It definitely makes to get a good set of those. I like the ones that fold into a set. They always stay together and do not get lost from the set. I also can use the the part that they fold into as a good handle.

A good floor pump is probably #2 on the list. I check my tire pressures before every ride, even if it is more than once a week.

A bike stand is probably the next most frequently used, followed closely by a general mechanic’s socket wrench set.

HEX WRENCHES!! Mans best friend.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.