SRAM vs. SHIMANO

Tagged: ,

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author

So I’m in the middle of my Sortie build and as I’m scouring the internet researching parts I find myself going back and forth, SRAM, Shimano,SRAM, Shimano. Most of my riding buds are pro Shimano and I’m running Shimano on my Trance now. As I’m happy with it my Shimano set-up, I haven’t had a chance to compare. So I ask, do I make the leap and try something new with SRAM or stick with what I’m happy with Shimano?

Big question first I guess would be are you doing a complete group and what configuration….2×9,2×10,3×9,3×10. Both brands work well…I find however I prefere the feel of the Sram to that of Shimano. I feel there is a more positive shift with Sram. I also love the construction of Sram..Solid components, easy to work with and set up and in the 2×10 they come in colors to match your build…

"element22" wrote

Big question first I guess would be are you doing a complete group and what configuration….2×9,2×10,3×9,3×10. Both brands work well…I find however I prefere the feel of the Sram to that of Shimano. I feel there is a more positive shift with Sram. I also love the construction of Sram..Solid components, easy to work with and set up and in the 2×10 they come in colors to match your build…

Well I guess another question for me would be just that? I almost never use my smallest chainring which makes me think I should switch to a 2x but I can’t decide. I feel like once I make that switch I’ll need or want that granny ring. Also, are most SRAM and Shimano components compatible with each other and how do I know which are or are not? For example, can I use a SRAM shift levers with Shimano derailleurs?

You can use a SRAM shifter for shimano front derailluer and vice versa. But you cannot for rear derailluers…. I like shimano over SRAM becasue the shifters are a push-push/pull configuration as apposed to SRAM’s push-push.

Actually this years stuff your going to have to be careful as things are splintering off into different technologies. Sram now has 1:1 and what they call exact actuation…1:1 is the 9spd stuff and the exact actuation is 1:1 pull as well but works on 10spd only.. To confuse matters more. 2x and 3x use different shifter pods as well as front derailleurs. All this is only on the Sram side of the coin..

Shimano has a split on the x9 (Mega9) and x10 (Dyna-sys), and just like Sram parts cannot be mixed. One thing i do not see is a 2x specific front derailleur. But I do notice that the XTR is the only true 2 ring set up from Shimano.

When building up a 2X set up from Sram you can for cost reasons mix X0,X9,X7 and still have a good working bike. For example you can run an x7 crank with x9 shifters and front derailleur and an X0 rear derailleur with no worries. I have a few bikes already running 2X10 XO and X9 and one bike a 1X10 XO mixed with Descendant cranks..All of them work super.

Man, this can get confusing! I guess to make things easy, I should look for a complete group and not mix and match brands.

@e22: I think I remember another thread you posted something along the lines of a true 2x and just removing a little ring isn’t a true 2x. What’s the difference?

^^^ Yet another reason to go shimano. 😆

As I mentioned before…..Shimano has the exact same issues…..

Sram however give you way more choices than Shimano as Shimano only has the XTR avaliable with 2X up front….XT is still 3X as well as SLX…

Another big thing with true 2X10 systems. The gearing work a bit better for one thing the 26/36 rings are closer together which for one thing reduce the number of recovery shifts needed. Also and this is a biggy. Both gears are closer to the lower pivot on most full suspension bikes. This one small often overlooked feature is a big plus to the handling and feel of your bike when your on the pedals cranking and hitting obsticals at the same time. The forces from the crank will not influence the suspension travel seeing that the chainline is almost in the same plane and the reactive forces of the lower arm.

3X systems have the small ring far off from the lower pivot and when in the small ring will cause the suspension to react..

Shimano vs Campy. Shimano vs SRAM. Choices, choices. Shimano has been the best system for years as far as service and reliability. Every bike shop on the planet has parts and pieces for Shimano. SRAM has some compatibility with Shimano and different colors (woo) so it sounds like Shimano is the standard. Both systems have advantages but Shimano is the number one OEM manufacturer. Why do the manufacturers choose Shimano? Reliability, ease of service (warranty) and customer satisfaction. Easy to see I’m a Shimano fan. SRAM doesn’t come close to Shimano on high quality fishing equipment. Oh crap! Another comparison! 😄 Later,

Hmmmm

Fat_billy, your not wanting to make many friends now are you?

"element22" wrote

As I mentioned before…..Shimano has the exact same issues…..

Sram however give you way more choices than Shimano as Shimano only has the XTR avaliable with 2X up front….XT is still 3X as well as SLX…

SRAM may be the way to go if I go 2x because XTR is just out of my budget right now.

Sram seems to be cutting into shimano’s market recently. I recently went with a Sram 1×9 setup after 6 years of SSing. LOVE IT!! Flawless.

"Gike" wrote

Sram seems to be cutting into shimano’s market recently. I recently went with a Sram 1×9 setup after 6 years of SSing. LOVE IT!! Flawless.

Interesting! 1×9! Haven’t thought about that. What kind of riding do you do? What are your trails like? How come you like so much over SS?

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="joetutt":3vhtn6wf][quote="Gike":3vhtn6wf]Sram seems to be cutting into shimano’s market recently. I recently went with a Sram 1×9 setup after 6 years of SSing. LOVE IT!! Flawless.

Interesting! 1×9! Haven’t thought about that. What kind of riding do you do? What are your trails like? How come you like so much over SS?[/quote:3vhtn6wf]
      Joe, all you need is a 1×9 set-up here in FL, and less parts to replace and cuts down just a bit on the weight as well. I will never go back to 3×7/8/9 or 2×7/8/9. The only way i would go back to 3 x or 2x is if I moved out of FL, which is in the workings, but got postponed for this year anyways.[/quote:3vhtn6wf]

What size ring do you have chili?

element22, Not trying to make friends (didn’t know this was a dating site) or enemies. LOL I’m just an old time Shimano guy. I guess I need to do a survey and see how "nice" the SRAMERS are vs the Shimano and make sure they aren’t all Gen Xers vs old guys. Naah sounds like work so I’ll skip it. SRAM is making some impact in the Shimano dominant market. Maybe Campy will come out with a MTB group thay will only shift if you’re wearing wool shorts, who knows. I don’t know and it’s easy to see I haven’t seen the football since the kick off. 😄 Later,

Campy wayy back in the late 80ies early 90ies attempted to make a MTB group…It failed badly…

Suntour and Sunrace had better components than Campy back then for MTB….Today it’s mostly a two horse race.

element22, I’d forgotten Suntour, You must be as old as me. I can fart dust, can you? LOL 😄 Later,

I’m SRAM all the way! Killer components, super reliable. I like how bare-bones the SRAM derailleur designs are. Durable, and just (usually) keep on working. Haven’t tried any of the new groups out yet, but I like the old X-9 way better than the X-7.

I am an old timer, using Fat Billy’s reasoning. I am a Shimano fan normally, but just bought my first bike using SRAM components and liking them so far. Still a fan of the rapidfire trigger system but getting used to the SRAM setup didn’t take long, as it is pretty intuitive. I am interested in switching this bike to a 2×10 setup after this season so I will watch this discussion and others like it with great interest!

I agree with Goo and a few others…SRAM all the way. I have had a few Shimano components in the past and never liked them. Seems too pricey for the quality of the product…but then again its just my .02…

Oh and by the way this topic will most likely win this months contest…congrats joetutt for being the first to post it up. This topic is like gas on a fire in the mountain bike world.

"kvnrbrts" wrote

I agree with Goo and a few others…SRAM all the way. I have had a few Shimano components in the past and never liked them. Seems too pricey for the quality of the product…but then again its just my .02…

Oh and by the way this topic will most likely win this months contest…congrats joetutt for being the first to post it up. This topic is like gas on a fire in the mountain bike world.

With all the comments here and some from a few riding buds, I’m leaning towards trying SRAM. I guess I’ll never really know until I try right. My decision now is to determine what ratios. Chili suggests 1×9, but I’m leaning towards 2×10…not sure!

Oh bye the way element22 gave me the idea to post the thread. 😆 😆

well I personally find the 2X10 great for my trail bike. Low enough to climb and about as fast as I want to go on a flat when pedaling away. On both my gravity bikes it is 1×10 / 1×9 all the way..Chain retention and protection is paramount.

"element22" wrote

well I personally find the 2X10 great for my trail bike. Low enough to climb and about as fast as I want to go on a flat when pedaling away. On both my gravity bikes it is 1×10 / 1×9 all the way..Chain retention and protection is paramount.

Hey element22! What gearing would you suggest if I go 2×10? I’m looking at x9, the have 26-39 and 28-42 and a whole bunch of rear options.

Hi Joe..

I run the 26/39 and the 11-36 at back, medium cage rear derailleur…Perfect for most everyone. for the 1×9 or 1×10 I run 36T up front and 11-25 rear ((DH set up)) with a short cage rear derailleur… Photos on todays article on the main page.

"element22" wrote

Hi Joe..

I run the 26/39 and the 11-36 at back, medium cage rear derailleur…Perfect for most everyone. for the 1×9 or 1×10 I run 36T up front and 11-25 rear ((DH set up)) with a short cage rear derailleur… Photos on todays article on the main page.

Thanks for the all the help!

"joetutt" wrote

[quote="kvnrbrts":163fk8u5]I agree with Goo and a few others…SRAM all the way. I have had a few Shimano components in the past and never liked them. Seems too pricey for the quality of the product…but then again its just my .02…

With all the comments here and some from a few riding buds, I’m leaning towards trying SRAM. I guess I’ll never really know until I try right. My decision now is to determine what ratios. Chili suggests 1×9, but I’m leaning towards 2×10…not sure!

Oh bye the way element22 gave me the idea to post the thread. 😆 😆[/quote:163fk8u5]

I’ve ridden several different rigs set up 1×9, and you could probably get away with it in Florida no problem. I like the simplicity of it, and having a bash guard and chain retention is awesome! If you’re in good shape, you could probably handle it up here in North Georgia too. Now if you were out west and riding AM/trail, I’d personally want more gears than that!

Actually Greg

A 2×10 works pretty good for hills on a 26" bike. A 29er I may see and issue if your not physically fit. But the spread of gears and the 36T rear coge is pretty close to a granny up front…I think your loosing inches per stroke…Not that great of a deal….The big thing I really love about the 2x systems is when you do drop it into the lower chain ring your not up shifting the rear a whole bunch to make up the cadence difference.

"element22" wrote

Actually Greg

A 2×10 works pretty good for hills on a 26" bike. A 29er I may see and issue if your not physically fit. But the spread of gears and the 36T rear coge is pretty close to a granny up front…I think your loosing inches per stroke…Not that great of a deal….The big thing I really love about the 2x systems is when you do drop it into the lower chain ring your not up shifting the rear a whole bunch to make up the cadence difference.

Oh I know that 2×10 would be great, I was just saying that if he really wanted to go 1×9 he could probably get away with it easily here in the Southeast, and especially in Florida.

How about bottom bracket? BB30 or GXP? Which is better?

"Goo" wrote

[quote="joetutt":1yr57u27][quote="kvnrbrts":1yr57u27]I agree with Goo and a few others…SRAM all the way. I have had a few Shimano components in the past and never liked them. Seems too pricey for the quality of the product…but then again its just my .02…

Oh bye the way element22 gave me the idea to post the thread. 😆 😆[/quote:1yr57u27]

I’ve ridden several different rigs set up 1×9, and you could probably get away with it in Florida no problem. I like the simplicity of it, and having a bash guard and chain retention is awesome! If you’re in good shape, you could probably handle it up here in North Georgia too. Now if you were out west and riding AM/trail, I’d personally want more gears than that![/quote:1yr57u27]

I like the idea of a bash guard too. Does the Truvativ Bashguard work with the x9 2×10 crank?

With 2X10 no…

I was running X9 for about 2.5 years. Switched bikes and started mostly riding dual control shimano (because I always liked it with a rapid rise rear der.). When the bike with X9 was ready to go again, I just took all the Sram off and bought new dual control on closeout as Shimano has quit making it.

For me, they both work fine. Shimano has a lighter shift engagement and I like the brake lever/shifter combo (I must be one of the very few who liked it).

I’m good to go on drivetrains for 2+ years. I’ll be back then and will look at both Sram and Shimano as they are both good with me.

I’ve spent plenty of time on both. Sram slams into gear, stays adjusted well. Shimano tiptoes around the cassette, and mine needed adjusting after every few rides. My Sram hasn’t needed any real adjustment in the 6 months I’ve been using it, and that includes 6 races. Granted, it’s X0 vs XT so that could have something to do with it.
      Sram is typically a better value. The differences between X9 and X0 are mostly in the materials, not in performance, and an X9 kit can be had for less than an XT kit.

As for the push vs push/pull lever issue… I would argue that it is a good habit to always have at least one finger on the brake. Learning the Sram style shifters isn’t hard at all.

Sram customer service is also very good.

"dchaney389" wrote

I’ve spent plenty of time on both. Sram slams into gear, stays adjusted well. Shimano tiptoes around the cassette, and mine needed adjusting after every few rides. My Sram hasn’t needed any real adjustment in the 6 months I’ve been using it, and that includes 6 races. Granted, it’s X0 vs XT so that could have something to do with it.
      Sram is typically a better value. The differences between X9 and X0 are mostly in the materials, not in performance, and an X9 kit can be had for less than an XT kit.

As for the push vs push/pull lever issue… I would argue that it is a good habit to always have at least one finger on the brake. Learning the Sram style shifters isn’t hard at all.

Sram customer service is also very good.

Great feedback! Thank you!

have you ever thought of getting RaceFace cranks? i think they are compatible with sram and shimano. if youre thinking of the 2x10set up.

Viewing 35 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.