SRAM 9-speed shifters advice

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I ride a Cannondale F3 that currently has SRAM X7 9-speed shifters. I’m looking for advice on which shifters I should upgrade to since my X7’s are in need of being replaced.

Assuming that your bike is still new enough to warrant upgrading (or you just aren’t ready to get a new one) then the decision comes down to your preferences. If you like the SRAM then I’d say go with the X9. If you want Shimano then check out the XT line. Either way shop on line for a good deal, the current model can be found at good price points and last ten models even cheaper. I wouldn’t spend the money on X0 or XTR unless you happen to find some super amazing deal and just really want to part with your money. You’d be surprised how nice the X9/XTR level shifters function. BUT, you would honestly get the most noticeable change if you match your rear derailleur to them.

What derailleurs are you riding? SRAM and Shimano aren’t necessarily interchangeable; the pull ratio is slightly different. If I remember correctly, Shimano shifters only work with Shimano derailleurs, but SRAM typically makes versions that are compatible with both, so if you go with SRAM you need to check the ratio for the cable pull for compatibility if that makes sense.

"kconner" wrote

What derailleurs are you riding? SRAM and Shimano aren’t necessarily interchangeable; the pull ratio is slightly different. If I remember correctly, Shimano shifters only work with Shimano derailleurs, but SRAM typically makes versions that are compatible with both, so if you go with SRAM you need to check the ratio for the cable pull for compatibility if that makes sense.

Good points. X7 derailleur will work with Shimano, X9 won’t. Also, there is nothing wrong with X7’s if you’re just looking for a replacement, plus they are a bit cheaper.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.