squeaky brakes

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I’m desperate! My rear brakes squeak bad!!! It’s annoying as all heck and embarrassing. I’ve taken it to my LBS and they sanded down the pads, but it still squeaks. But the brakes only squeak when I am pedalling. Once I apply a little pressure on the brake lever, the squeaking stops. As soon as I release the lever, the squeaking begins again. The brakes are the Hayes stroker. Any recommendations?

They sweak when you are NOT braking? Is the rotor rubbing up against the pads causing the squeak or is it coming from somewhere else? Is it constant or off and on as the wheel turns? I’m wondering if your rotors are not bent or out of alignment or if the brake is improperly aligned on the rotor causing it to constantly rub.

they shouldent rub when ur not using them back them off a hair and use some brakleen get the dust outa there

I have this same problem!!!!!

It started happening after i got my bike back from my LBS. My guess is that they might have knocked the rotor and bent it slightly to cause it to rub in one spot, for the majority of the time. I can’t say they squeak only when i’m pedaling, but it tends to sometimes squeak and some times not. I have Shimano disc brakes that came on my Cdale F7.

I’ll have to try Mongoose’s suggestion.

I am having the same problem.

I got a flat, took the tire off, replaced the tube put the tire back on and now it is almost a continuous squeak in the rear. Could I have bent the rotor? seems to be straight though. I am going nuts!

This may seem really asinine but have you tried removing the tire completely and then reinstalling it? Most of the time I find that new brake rub issues that pop up after removing the wheel are due to not reinstalling it correctly into the frame. There’s also the possibility that you bumped the rear brake caliper and slightly shifted it. Even if the rotor isn’t bent, the caliper still won’t sit around it properly.

Just thought of another one that frequently also happens…oil on the rotor. If you touched the rotors with your bare hands you got your skin oil on them and it will often produce that squeak/squeal noise. Cleaning them with rubbing alcohol and a clean rag should do the trick.

First, when my rotors need cleaning I use actual brake cleaner from the auto parts store.

Second, for caliper alignment, loosen the caliper bolts slightly so that the caliper can move a little. Squeeze the brake lever, which will center the pads and caliper onto the rotor. While still squeezing the brake lever, tighten the caliper bolts.

Also, with the bike on a work stand or holding the back up off the ground, stand over the back and look straight down through the caliper and spin the wheel. You should be able to spot any wobbling from a warped rotor this way.

I have had a similar problem with one of my brakes almost since I bought my Blur 2 years ago. Avid Juicy 5 on front has a squeak that comes and goes. Everthing appears in alignment. It won’t do it on a bike stand, just when you ride.

No-one at several bike shops has ever fixed it. It started again last week really bad, so I took it to a shop I had not dealt with but has a good reputation for repair work. They reamed me for using engine degreaser to try and clean pads and said I probably contaminated the pads. Replaced with new pads, recleaned with IPA, and the squeak came back yesterday louder than ever. Constant squeak for my whole ride and gets worse when you go uphill. Long fingernail across chalkboard type squeaks. The only thing good was riding on the greenway to the trail I never had to say "passing on the right’. They could hear me a quarter mile away. Think I will finally just ditch that dog of a brake. Whats good these days for brakes? Just bought an MP3 player last night so that I can stand to ride.

I absolutely love my Formula Oro K-24’s

And that shop was probably right, I never clean the pads, only the rotors IF they are new and have packing grease or get grease on them somehow.

But anyway, the formulas have given me zero issues so far this season.

If you’re in the mood for more troubleshooting…have you swapped the front and back rotors (assuming they are the same size)

Will check into it. I have not switched the rotors aroiund like Madslacker suggested. From what Suvacrew said, I am guessing there is a proper torque required for this?

I will look and see what type of Rotors I have. Hopefully they are marked in some readable fassion. Always kind of suspected that, but it always looks like it turns true.

Got a little extra unplanned time off next weekend. One guy at our plant came down with Swine flu and they shut our facility down for the whole week. Most were going to be off anyway, but not me.

I had a terrible squeaky rear brake on my brand new Fezzari Abajo Peak, with juicy 3.5 upgraded disk brakes.

A call to Fezzari and they told me how to fix it. I will add some extra details here:

The problem is usually that the caliper (the block the pads fit into) is not aligned exactly correctly to the disk, and so a vibration occurs that generates a squeeling sound. The solution is proper alignment, and this is how you do it:

1) Loosen the two bolts holding the caliper to the frame, just enough to allow movement when you apply pressure with your hand, but not completely ‘loose’.

2) Spin the wheel (you can ride it, if front wheel) and apply gentle braking while forcing the wheel to continue to rotate. Do not just apply the brakes to a stationary wheel – this will not work, as the disk is never ‘perfectly’ uniform, and we need to align to the ‘average’ disk position. Gently release the brakes.

3) Stop, and tighten the two caliper bolts just an 1/8th turn.

4) repeat 2) through 3) until bolts are reasonably tight, then tighten the rest of the way. you can move to 1/4 turn after doing two 1/8 turns.

Now the brake squeeling should be gone.

Thanks Fezzari for your prompt help with this.
      -Jonathan.

"bpmcginty74" wrote

I’m desperate! My rear brakes squeak bad!!! It’s annoying as all heck and embarrassing. I’ve taken it to my LBS and they sanded down the pads, but it still squeaks. But the brakes only squeak when I am pedalling. Once I apply a little pressure on the brake lever, the squeaking stops. As soon as I release the lever, the squeaking begins again. The brakes are the Hayes stroker. Any recommendations?

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.