Spring 2013 Ride Pics Part 2

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Spring 2013 Ride Pics Part 2

--
SHARES

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Funrover 6 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Marking of trails that we cleared off last year was a very good emotional high. A lot of hours were put in cleaning the trails of Price Mountain and the signs and markings were a way of saying – “we’re done, come and ride me”. Oh yea, you will be hiking some too.

I would guess a lot of you folks that build new trails have a similar euphoria when you finally get through with a trail and put in the finishing touches.

Scouting on Patterson Mountain, the second ridge slated for cleaing. Looking over at Price Mountain.
    While walking on the other end of the mountain with the Forest Service last year, we figured out we were not the only critters on the mountain.

Memorial Day Ride

This was a serious climb I have wanted to tackle. I think per Delorme it start at 1440 feet ends at 3940 feet 7 miles away. Starts along a trout stream.
    But soon it gets into serious climbing.
    At the trailhead parking lot, there is a great view over into what’s left in Virginia and then West Virginia

Onto Sandy Gap Trail
    The top part of this trail was recently cleaned for a controlled burn on the George Washington National Forest. This trail has the most elaborate rock work of any trail in our area
    Unfortunately, outside the burn area the trail was a mess
    I probably walked a quarter of it because the brush was so thick I could not get my bars through

Across the valley and up the other side, and I was at the Tuscarora Overlook in Douthat State park

My last ride was with Kapusta on the lower trails of Patterson Mountain
    It seems we were the first visitor of the year on this trail

Man, so much largely-unridden territory to explore up your way! Color me green with envy.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Man, so much largely-unridden territory to explore up your way! Color me green with envy.

You will have to come back sometime. A lot of our back country trails do suffer from under-use.
    The riding is not easy and most folks would just as soon go to a "safer" and well marked trail system /park.

I’ve been off ST for a while and was overwhelmed with new posts on the forum. I saw a spring ride post from CCR and had to go in for more details. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I was out in the GWNF last week and rode around Braley Pond. The descent from Bald Knob to Braley Pond and the Dowells Draft descent were awesome! The climbs are the payment, but the climb up to Bald Knob is definitely doable and worth every pedal stroke. Amazing views and solitude. The climb we did to Dowells was stupid steep, but also worth the experience and 4 mile descent.

We didn’t see another (human) soul while on the trails. Can’t wait to get back out there and explore more mountain trails.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":33y0xa6r]Man, so much largely-unridden territory to explore up your way! Color me green with envy.

You will have to come back sometime. A lot of our back country trails do suffer from under-use.
    The riding is not easy and most folks would just as soon go to a "safer" and well marked trail system /park.[/quote:33y0xa6r]

Fewer people? All the more reason to ride these trails!

"fleetwood" wrote

I’ve been off ST for a while and was overwhelmed with new posts on the forum. I saw a spring ride post from CCR and had to go in for more details. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I was out in the GWNF last week and rode around Braley Pond. The descent from Bald Knob to Braley Pond and the Dowells Draft descent were awesome! The climbs are the payment, but the climb up to Bald Knob is definitely doable and worth every pedal stroke. Amazing views and solitude. The climb we did to Dowells was stupid steep, but also worth the experience and 4 mile descent.

We didn’t see another (human) soul while on the trails. Can’t wait to get back out there and explore more mountain trails.

Welcome Back! I have heard a lot of good things about the trails near Bailey Pond and Dowells Draft. I would definitely like to ride some more of the stuff up towards Harrisonburg.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":gqrnyils][quote="mtbgreg1":gqrnyils]Man, so much largely-unridden territory to explore up your way! Color me green with envy.

The riding is not easy and most folks would just as soon go to a "safer" and well marked trail system /park.[/quote:gqrnyils]

Fewer people? All the more reason to ride these trails![/quote:gqrnyils]

It is only bad in terms of trail maintenance. It takes a certain minimum amount of usage to keep trails in ride-able condition. Like the Sandy Gap trail, Mother Nature reclaims her own if we don’t put up a good fight.

Trails are looking good! Thanks for the pics!