Sports Survey

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I like to always ask cyclists this out of curiosity:

What other sports do you do?

Me, I’m also an inline speed skater, sailor, fencer, and squash(-er?).

Basketball and Golf are the other two sports that i play. both rather poorly but i enjoy it.

I like river kayaking (recreation style, not hardcore white water) and snow skiing.

In rough order or precedence
      Downhill Skiing, Hiking, Backpacking, Basketball, Tennis, Cross Country Skiing, Rock Climbing, Whitewater Rafting

Speed Skating and Fencing, eh? Sounds way cool. Speed skaters always look like they have quads from Hell–seems like that could be good cross training for the mountain biking.

Dirt biking (motocross and trail style), basketball, and trapping and hunting if you consider those sports. I sure do! 😀

We’ve been running this survey for many years (at last count more than 50K mountain bikers had replied)!

http://www.singletracks.com/php/my/surv … t.php?id=1

Edit, for those who aren’t logged in or haven’t completed the survey:

60% -> Hiking
      56% -> Camping
      35% -> Backpacking
      33% -> Road Cycling
      29% -> Skiing (downhill)
      28% -> Jogging
      27% -> Trail Running
      24% -> Kayaking

… plus others.

Fencing and speedskating… legit!

As for me, my favorite sport of all time is downhill skiing. I only started mountain biking so I could go down hills at high speeds during the summer, but since I live in Georgia now I don’t really ski much any more…

As for other sports, I also love snowboarding (but same situation), but I do do a lot of road biking, some running, some hiking, and if there were more real cliffs around here, I’d do more rock climbing. I used to rock climb a good bit when I lived in Colorado and Montana, but the past couple of years here in GA my time spent rock climbing has gone to zero.

When we move to Colorado, I’m looking forward to taking downhill skiing and rock climbing back up! I’d also like to do some peak hiking/light mountaineering.

Skateboarding, snowboarding, BMX freestyle, Bowling, Darts, Combat Pistol Target matches, hiking and fishing. I use to be into paintball but lost interest after getting into real target shooting!!

That I do regularly, Indoor rock climbing, and step aerobics. I’m a life long swimmer and ski occasionally.

"skibum" wrote

Speed Skating and Fencing, eh? Sounds way cool. Speed skaters always look like they have quads from Hell–seems like that could be good cross training for the mountain biking.

Haha, yeah. I’d say it is.
      I don’t road bike, so I guess this is my form of speeding around the roads. Though I’ve been pestered to try road bikes by my friends for like 2 years now. Eh, I just can’t be bothered.

"jeff" wrote

We’ve been running this survey for many years (at last count more than 50K mountain bikers had replied)!

I saw it. List seemed a bit restricted, so I wanted to ask as an open reply. For people like me who, as I’ve been told by others, seems to like picking my sports out of an "obscure sports" list.

And I also ask to find others that have a similar range of sports as me.
      I’ve only met one other mtb/fencer and one mtb/inline speed skater.

MTI
      "Ginny_Tory" wrote

Though I’ve been pestered to try road bikes by my friends for like 2 years now. Eh, I just can’t be bothered.

+ 1 on road bikes!

Hiking and just started recurve archery.

"MTI" wrote

[quote="Ginny_Tory":1l62tnb3]Though I’ve been pestered to try road bikes by my friends for like 2 years now. Eh, I just can’t be bothered.

+ 1 on road bikes!

Hiking and just started recurve archery.[/quote:1l62tnb3]

Make that another +1 on road biking. I just don’t have time for much else, plus the wife would kill me if I started dumping more money into another sport! I do bird hunt, which involves a lot of walking, but I don’t really consider that the same type of sport.

Road Cycling, Kayaking (flatwater), and hiking/backpacking.

I snowboard (Back country, carving, boarder cross and parking)

I notice that with survey E.G. that the first three popular choices are actually recreations, that are enjoyments or healthy pastimes! similar to "playing cards" not a sporting activity

Add one to dirt bikes. Enduro racer here. Aynthing with wheels is great. Dont be a hater.

Coq

Before kids… mtb, swimming, surfing and kayaking. Got really lazy afterwards and returning to cycling with my 7yo.

I also like weightlifting. I’m currently working on mastering the 12oz curl. if i get that down i’ll start on heavier stuff

Score… nobody’s said this yet:

I play baseball (the normal, hardball style) as a pitcher. I also run in races (both road and trail). For awhile I played dodgeball… I guess that’s a sport?

"Korvyn" wrote

I also like weightlifting. I’m currently working on mastering the 12oz curl. if i get that down i’ll start on heavier stuff

I love that sport too! Unfortunately, my dumbells seem to get lighter as the evening goes on. Someone needs to fix that.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="Korvyn":20jj01sg]I also like weightlifting. I’m currently working on mastering the 12oz curl. if i get that down i’ll start on heavier stuff

I love that sport too! Unfortunately, my dumbells seem to get lighter as the evening goes on. Someone needs to fix that.[/quote:20jj01sg]

Despite sailing, I’ve got no upper body strength what so ever. That test in gym class where you have to hang from a bar with your chin above the bar? Yeah I got 0 seconds. Dropped right down when they pulled the chair from under me. lol, pretty pathetic. My legs probably weight as much as the rest of me.

I’ll have to fix that though. Just got picked for the crew going up to Wellington to race in a regatta. Will need more strength to pull those sails.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.