Specialized comp 29

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I’m debating selling my Gary Fisher Cobia and buying the specialized comp 29er. I guess I’m looking for people give me their opinion about the Specialized that could talk me out of it which would save me some $$$$$. Anybody have experience with either bike? Is the specialized a waste of money where it would be better spent elsewhere? I added a new stem, bars, grips and tires to my Cobia. I would like hydraulic brakes and better wheels though. It seems to me to buy a new package instead of all the $$$$ for upgrades. What do you think ?

I just bought a Specialized Stumpjumper HT Expert 29 carbon and I like it alot. The geometry is excellent. I am able to ride faster and longer than I could on my Nomad or the Stumpjumper HT 26er I used to have. I can even take it down some of the sketchier areas with no problems. The head tube angle will be quite a bit tighter on the specialized than what you are used to on the cobia though. (73ish vs 69ish respectively) The specialized looks like its a big step up from atleast last years cobia, and depending on what years yours is would make it an even larger step up. The waste of money issue all depends on what you like to do. I love spending money on bikes. Buying a new bike would never be a waste of money to me, as long as it is the bike I want. Upgrading vs buying new: buying new will usually be the better option, since you can sell your old bike if you want to.

It’s a 2010

A buddy of mine got the Specialized 29er Comp midway through this season, and he really likes it, though he came from a Diamondback 26er – just about anything will make him happier.

The drivetrain and brakes on the Specialized were a good jump for him. He found the head tube angle much better, too – he’s 6′.

Yea, that stumpy is a pretty big upgrade from the 2010 cobia. the fork will probably be the biggest ( tora to reba). You are probably talking about a couple of pounds too, mostly just in the wheels. I would say that if you have ridden the stumpy and you like, go for it.

I think I’m getting the push I was subconsciously looking forward. I appreciate all the feed back. 2012 Specialized comp 29, here I come!! 😃

I have a 2009 Specialized Comp 29er. I love it! I went from a 26 inch Trek to this bike and when riding with friends in sand or mud they can’t keep up. The only problem with the bike for me is not enough water bottle holders and the triangle is small and a frame bag would worthless. Teh wheels are great. After 2500 miles when I took it in for a tune up the wheels did not even need to be trued…

I got a Comp 29er Carbon this year and love it. Just make sure you front shock is setup for your weight. Makes a huge difference in riding. Came of a Kona Blast. 😆

As soon as I sell the Cobia I’m ordering the 2012 Comp 29

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.