spandex shorts

Tagged: 

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author

i dont know how to ask this but here it goes. ok i see alot of bikers using spandex shorts my question is do yall were underwear under that?

Would you??
      The answer to your question is NO. A good pair of shorts whether they be roadie spandex/lycra or MTBs will have a chamois pad and or a liner insert for the MTB baggie crowd.
      This is another place you can spend umpteen $$ on for comfort and flair.
      A $250-300 set of Castelli or Assos bibs will feel like heaven compared to a pair sub 100.
      The chamois and the cut of the design will make for long miles in a comfortable fashion. The chamois will wick away moisture, give your package some added padding, help prevent chafing and take the edge off of some of the thumps you’ll get in that area. No need to have your johnson in a sling.
      Wearing undies would result in a call for skin grafting.
      Somethings you can fudge a few $$ on..your shorts aren’t it.

"humanpower" wrote

i dont know how to ask this but here it goes. ok i see alot of bikers using spandex shorts my question is do yall were underwear under that?

No way, it would mess up that perfect moose knuckle outline that the spandex gives me!

Moose knuckle? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I almost spewed coffee all over my monitor.

good cause i thought i would be wierd if i didnt wear any. 😆

Moose knuckle? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I almost spewed coffee all over my monitor

That was funny wasnt it???ahhahahahahahqaha

yup, definitely go commando, and definitely shop around for some nice ones.

I have a pair of $95 Descente shorts that I got for $36 at the REI garage sale. These are my all-day epic shorts and they are insanely comfortable.

My every-day and short trip shorts are Canari that can be had at REI for $35. They aren’t nearly as well padded as the Descente ones, but they’re ok for short rides and work commuting.

When it gets colder I have a pair of Canari long tights with gel padding. They are surprisingly comfortable, but in a different way than the Descentes.

"humanpower" wrote

as these other guys have said: no. the idea is to eliminate chafe-age. cotton=not good. therefore, we have wonderful, padded spandex shorts that make our lives a bright sunny place!

ok new question, who doesnt wear these, I personally wear boxers and gym shorts, and I dont have any problems

i used to not wear any. some of the guys that i ride with don’t either. but when i did get some and wore them, it was like a new age of bike riding for me, but i always where some baggy cargo shorts over them. the guys only complain afterwards of the ride and two days later they are ready to go again. never had a prob with the nads getting crunched though except when i wreck they tend to get thumped every now and then.

I rock cargo shorts with cotton boxer briefs. 😳 No issues. I have looked at some cargo-style bike shorts (e.g. Fox Ranger), but haven’t purchased anything yet. Sometimes I wear a technical shirt, but usually a cotton t-shirt. Again, no issues. Although, my shirt was absolutely drenched after yesterday’s ride. It didn’t bother me during the ride though, and I brought a freshie to put on afterwards.

Y’all are the ones wearing jeans and sports-team jackets while skiing, aren’t you?

na that ain’t me slacker. i’m dressed in black nike ACG jacket and pants with a joker hat while in steamboat.

Haha, I’m in the mix, I will wear baggies some times, and just a good pair of cargo shorts myself. I only own one pair of baggies so I would like to buy at least one other decent pair before I make the complete jump other. However, I’ll never wear spandex type. No offense to those who do. 😛

I only have one pair of spandex shorts and they have the pads. I chose to wear baggies over them because I don’t think the world cares about the size of my package. I do have some under armor pants for winter and still wear baggies over them. But to answer the question when I wear the tight shorts under my baggies I do not wear underwear.

If they are quality spandex shorts, then your package doesn’t show due to the padding…

Sorry, can’t bring myself to wear spandex shorts. First off…I’m a bigger guy. It would look like someone stuffed a Christmas ham into a tube sock. Second. I do just fine in gym shorts and a t-shirt.

lyrca/spandex all they way….unless Im downhill riding at a ski hill then I really wouldnt fit in. But I still wear them just with baggy shorts over top. If it was socially acceptable I would wear lycra everywhere….

"PSUtuna" wrote

Sorry, can’t bring myself to wear spandex shorts. First off…I’m a bigger guy. It would look like someone stuffed a Christmas ham into a tube sock. Second. I do just fine in gym shorts and a t-shirt.

LMAOOOOO !!!

"maddslacker" wrote

Y’all are the ones wearing jeans and sports-team jackets while skiing, aren’t you?

No, no, no…now that’s just wrong. 😃

I think I have spent more on snowboarding clothing/gear than I have on the entire rest of my wardrobe (work clothes included). Of course, that isn’t hard to do with how much that stuff costs.

When I get done buying stuff for my bike, maybe then I will look more seriously at clothing. Or, maybe not.

"fergy16" wrote

If it was socially acceptable I would wear lycra everywhere….

😆 😆

I ve got a few pairs of fox cargo shorts that came with the lirica liner with padding, I would never ride without the liner. I used to and now i know how much better it is, Ive never looked back

"GoldenGoose" wrote

No way, it would mess up that perfect moose knuckle outline that the spandex gives me!

Why? Please… Why did they name these grips moose knuckle?

WHY!? 😮

so that ppl would get their pannies in a bunch about em and then you have a mooseknuckle. HAHA just kidding.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

[quote="humanpower":1z7eojvv]i dont know how to ask this but here it goes. ok i see alot of bikers using spandex shorts my question is do yall were underwear under that?

No way, it would mess up that perfect MOUSE knuckle outline that the spandex gives me![/quote:1z7eojvv]

fixed it for ya 😃 😃

sorry, couldn’t resist

Lon

Seriously, i dont like Spandex Shorts,
      although they are fit to me but, i dont like…
      I usually wear Gym Shorts and T-shirt…
      Spandex Shorts are not necessary for Riding.. 😃

"robert_mark" wrote

Seriously, i dont like Spandex Shorts,
      although they are fit to me but, i dont like…
      I usually wear Gym Shorts and T-shirt…
      Spandex Shorts are not necessary for Riding.. 😃

Is that a poem? 😼

I wear a wide variety of different shorts, depending on my mood and what kinda ride I’m going on. I find the biggest advantage of spandex on a mountain bike is that the shorts never snag on my seat as I shift around the bike on technical terrain.

Most of my shorts have a chamois in them. When I wear the ones that don’t, I either wear them over spandex or limit them to short rides. Riding without a chamois for any distance sucks.

"fleetwood" wrote

I rock cargo shorts with cotton boxer briefs. 😳 No issues. I have looked at some cargo-style bike shorts (e.g. Fox Ranger), but haven’t purchased anything yet. Sometimes I wear a technical shirt, but usually a cotton t-shirt. Again, no issues. Although, my shirt was absolutely drenched after yesterday’s ride. It didn’t bother me during the ride though, and I brought a freshie to put on afterwards.

Interesting to see my post from August 2009. I now own the Fox Rangers and some Novara bike shorts from REI (forget the name). Both of these have an attached chamois. I also have a pair of Jett Raptors and a pair of Fox Sergeant , both of which have a removable chamois.

I prefer the removable chamois. For one, they are more comfortable (in my limited experience). Secondly, I use them without the chamois on occasion (e.g. short rides after work). Of the four, my favorite is the Jett Raptor.

Yes maddslacker , This is a Poem for Spandex Shorts… 😃
      You can sing it at night when u r alone… 😆

Cycling Shorts

If you don’t rock the chamois, it’s because you’ve never tried them. These things are so comfortable that you won’t even care if you look like "a ham in a tube sock" 😃

Is this post for "Guys" only? 😕

Not at all. (It’s not called ‘mandex’)

I dont even remember I HAVE IT ON…

I am ready to try some spandex.
      Found out that there are cycling specific ones & there are those for triathlon.
      Now what are the differences here & which would be better for MTB’ing?
      Thanks guys.

"kcrushz" wrote

I am ready to try some spandex.
      Found out that there are cycling specific ones & there are those for triathlon.
      Now what are the differences here & which would be better for MTB’ing?
      Thanks guys.

Not exactly sure, but you definetly want the cycling ones, not the triathlon versions.

I think the tri specific ones have a different cut and fit, padding is different, etc.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. I have always liked pearl izumi 3d stuff. Try the bibs instead of shorts, they are much more comfortable and they don’t move. Its almost like riding naked.

cycling shorts are like peanut butter dont by no cheap brand. you go out and get jif.shorts are the same, if you buy a cheap pair you’ll hate them for the fit and padding. spend some $ and get a name brand like pearl izumi or suoigi and make sure they are atleast 8 panels. even the differance of 8 to 10 panel is huge in comfort. and dont forget to let r rip!!

I’ve had really good luck with Descente and Pearl Izumi.

I rock the spandex from time to time but I also wear baggies over top sometimes as well…I did a 9 hr endurance race this past weekend and I felt like the odd ball out wearing baggies…

I thought the baggies would specifically prevent the ‘ball out’ condition… 😆

I picked up two different pairs of full length bike shorts from PricePoint recently – I wore them for the first time on Wednesday and it may have been the most comfortable biking adventure I’ve EVER had. Wow – what a difference!

Viewing 41 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.