Southridge MTB race

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

This past weekend i made my way up to Fontana, Ca. for my very first experience of a MTB race "Spectator" not racing. Nothing short of Awesomeness! I watched the DH on Sunday. I got to see the Pros and Experts along with the little dudes "kids" and Beginners. There was some sick crashes and some extreme shredding going on. LOVED IT! Being there really put some "Modavation" in my body and makes me want to partake in feuture events like these. But first id have to get me a DH bike. eek! theres some money, eh.

From what i saw this weekend tho, was that ALOT of racers were getting really fatigued. I know its a race and every race your going to get exausted even on a DH, but it just seemed like these guys and gals were just suckin way to much wind. Seemed kinda crazy to me.

DH takes alot out of you when your racing, when you race DH its a sprint to the finish line, so your pedaling as hard as you can to make up for any mistake you think you might have made thru a tech section, also not all downhills are straight downhills thiers small climbs and flat sections you have to push thru. DH guys dont really worry about thier pedal cadence, thier just trying to mash thier pedals as hard as they can to go as fast as they can, thats why you see alot of DH’ers breathing hard at the end of a run, its not that thier out of shape or anything like that its because thier working so hard to go fast, its just like when you see 4X guys or BMX racers thier usually breathing hard too at the end of a race run.

I understand all that, i just think its kinda crazy, cuz i was maybe 1/2 way up the track watching. And according to some of the racers parients and family this was a "short" course. The course was kinda like "M" shape but sideways down the hill with a short up hill section maybe 20-25 yards, alot of the riders just rolled or coasted up it. Mainly cuz there was a hard left at the top of it and if they didnt make it they were on there way down an ugly ugly drop. And the end, once off the hill it was flat about 300 yard sprint to the finish line. that i can totaly understand getting winded.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.