Southeast tire selection

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been running Panaracer Fire XC’s since last summer and in Colorado, they were awesome tires. They climbed great and had wicked stickiness in the curves. Since I moved back to Georgia, I’m really starting to think I need something different. It’s been mostly damp for the past month, and it rains so much here, I think that most of the trails will probably be a little damp about 60% of the time. I need some tires that hook up well in slightly damp conditions. I don’t ride when it’s muddy, I know better. But a few days after a rain when you ride shady trails, there’s still some dampness and some mountain trails are so shaded that it never really dries out.

I need some tires that are good in damp conditions, and good on roots. I’m thinking of trying Kenda Nevagals next but is that the best choice for the Southeast?

Ordered some 2.1 Kenda Nevagals yesterday. I should have them next week. Can’t wait. My Panaracers are starting to wear out.

How did the Kenda Nevagals work out? I’m moving from Southern California where it is usually dry, mostly rocks, and not very many roots to Charleston, South Carolina, where it’s mostly wetlands (swamps), loamy soil and lots of roots.

My tires are new (Specialized Pro’s that came on the bike), but I’m willing to pay a few bucks if they don’t work out. The Specialized tires seem to hook up pretty good for where I ride today…

You should really look into the Continental Vapor/Diesel series.

They are really fast rolling tires, have really good tread life, and hook-up like mad on rocks and rubble. They don’t really do well in sand (what tire does?), and if you run them on the rear wheel, they get squidgey on hard-pack at high-speed during turns. But for the front wheel they’re awesome.

Also look at Schwalbe tires. The newest ones are very good, but the older Racing Ralph line is still awesome. They are very good all-around tires, and I think overlooked because of Kenda/Maxxis. Over here, EVERYONE runs Schwalbe…. even though Kenda/Maxxis tires are available….

"KenfromCali" wrote

How did the Kenda Nevagals work out? I’m moving from Southern California where it is usually dry, mostly rocks, and not very many roots to Charleston, South Carolina, where it’s mostly wetlands (swamps), loamy soil and lots of roots.

My tires are new (Specialized Pro’s that came on the bike), but I’m willing to pay a few bucks if they don’t work out. The Specialized tires seem to hook up pretty good for where I ride today…

On the damp stuff, the Kendas hook up like crazy. There’s hardly any slip in corners or climbing, but they are about average over damp roots and rocks. They have excellent traction for braking when it’s a bit damp. Even in a mudhole, they hang in there better than my Panaracer Fire XC’s or Specialized Enduros. I don’t think they are going to have very good tread-life though. They seem to be wearing down pretty quick.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with them. I think I’ll be sticking with these tires.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.