sore feet

Forums Mountain Bike Forum sore feet

--
SHARES

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dustin Gaddis 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

I give up! I’ve googled this and can’t seem to find an answer. I recently went from frog speedplay pedals to some eggbeaters. Now after about 15 minutes of riding, the bottom of my feet are killing me! Are the pedals too small for my big foot or do I need to adjust the cleats? If I need to adjust the cleats, is there a "rule of thumb" of what position to have them on the bottom of my shoe?

Sounds to me like you need stiffer soled shoes. A nice stiff shoe will support your weight more evenly, a flexible shoe will bend around the pedal and put more weight right where the pedal is. You may need some sort of footbed that better matches the shape of your feet too. Specialized has good stuff for this, so if you have a Specialized dealer nearby I’d check it out. (I use the blue footbed since I have a somewhat high arch)

For positioning the cleats, they should be just a touch behind the joint where your big toe meets your foot.

I was thinking it might be my shoes since they are a couple of years old now. I appreciate the advice on the positioning of the cleats.

What dgaddis said. Nothing I can add to that!

I ride with Crank Brothers pedals too. I’ve used the eggbeaters on my road bikes and the "Candy" model on my mountain bike. The Candy pedals have a small platform around them which gives more surface area. I have not experienced the same problem you have but would say with the age of your shoes it’s time for some really stiff sole shoes, that should fix your problem.

"reidsvillebikes" wrote

I ride with Crank Brothers pedals too. I’ve used the eggbeaters on my road bikes and the "Candy" model on my mountain bike. The Candy pedals have a small platform around them which gives more surface area. I have not experienced the same problem you have but would say with the age of your shoes it’s time for some really stiff sole shoes, that should fix your problem.

I’m finally kicking the CB habit and switching to Shimanos, but, I too had Eggbeaters on the roadie and Candy’s on the MTBs. I couldn’t tell a difference riding. I do think the platform makes it a tiny bit easier to get clipped in though.