solid tubes

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

What do you think is up with solid tubes. The most important advantage is no flats, but are there specific tubes for different tire sizes? Please share your thoughts here.

cavermatthew

Seems like a lot of work to avoid going tubeless.

Yes–I want this! People argue about whether tubes or tubeless is better. The real question is which one sucks less. 😀

I’m not really familiar with what’s on the market but I’m definitely interested in learning more. I’ve been tossing around the idea of a DiY solution: filling a tire with "Great Stuff" (expanding foam) or even trying to cram a "Noodle" (pool toy) onto my rim.

Not only would there need to be different sizes (diameters) but also different firmnesses keyed to PSI equivalents. Then, how would you install on a standard rim/tire set-up?

We have our off road vehicles at work filled with a pliant foam to avoid flats, so the product is out there. They’re not rock solid. I think the hard part would be getting a pliant enough material to allow the wheel to be totally filled but not rock solid so you still get good traction.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.