so my grips are dead

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

but they were stock and sucked anyways…

my question is what should i get now? i dont want to spend more than $30 on them, and want lock ons…i hate the spinning that i got with the old ones

Ergons!!!

I love mine, can’t even ride a bike with normal grips now. They’re heavier than most grips, but the comfort is worth the weight…and I’m a bit of a weight weenie.

Get the small size, unless you have freakishly large hands. And I’m talking FREAKISH.

Look around and you should be able to find some on sale…

are they really that great? my neighbor has them on his bike and im gonna test his out, to me they just look awkward.

can i keep my bar ends?

They’re amazing. Ask your neighbor if you can borrow them for a few rides, they bolt on, so it’s easy to take them on and off. It may take you a while to get the angle dialed in just right, so be sure to carry the correct sized allen wrench with you on your ride, and make it easy to get to.

You can’t keep your current barends, but Ergon makes some that have the barends built in, they double as the locking clamp.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/136- … spx?s=1858

I have the GR2’s with the magnesium barends. I’ve had the GC2 aluminum barend version in the past, but I like the mag better. The shape is different, the aluminum is really short and stubby, you can only get two or three fingers around it. The magnesium one is longer and fits my hand better. And it’s lighter…minor bonus, main thing is the shape/fit.

I think I still have the aluminum barend versions laying around somewhere…if I do you can have them. I’ll try and remember to check tonight when I get home. SORBA meeting is tonight tho, so it’ll be late before I can look.

Do you have grip shifters?

EDIT: Actually, I have 3 set of Ergons. The standard GC2, grip shift GR2, and the standard GR2’s that are on my bike now. The only difference between the GC2 and GR2 is the barend, the grip itself is the same. So if you want the magnesium barend w/the standard (non-gripshift) grip I can do that. But I’m keeping the gripshit grips in case I add gears to my bike at some point.

I have ergon GC2 and love them. Very comfortable. like the bar ends, gives you a lot a different hnd positions for longer rides. If you do get ergons, have an allen wrench in your pocket the first ride or 2 so you can fine adjust them to your riding position.

I run the Lizard Skin Lock-ons.

Oury Lock-ons are sweet.

Never tried Ergons, but I know some people I ride with swear by them.

I just put on Lizard Skin Moab lock ons, LOVING the zero movement.

Ergons! The bike shop next to Publix has them in stock (at least they did last Saturday).

I also run the Lizard Skin Moab lock-ons…they rule!

"bpmcginty74" wrote

Ergons! The bike shop next to Publix has them in stock (at least they did last Saturday).

not a big fan of adventure cycles…hes over charged me many many time…bike town has them in stock too and they have never done me wrong, so i’ll drive the extra 15 mins to buy from them.

I’ve always liked the Odi Yeti grips.The rubber compound they use is very tacky and grips well but it also wears pretty fast.Next time I need to get some grips I’m definitely going with the lock-on version and I’ll take a look at the Rogue grips.

"dgaddis" wrote

Ergons!!!

I love mine, can’t even ride a bike with normal grips now. They’re heavier than most grips, but the comfort is worth the weight…and I’m a bit of a weight weenie.

Get the small size, unless you have freakishly large hands. And I’m talking FREAKISH.

Look around and you should be able to find some on sale…

Yeah Ergons FTW. I switched and I’ll never go back to another grip. I’ve got the GX1 right now, but I’m considering switching to the GX2 with the small bar ends.

I’m big, but not a circus freak or anything, and the M sized grips weren’t big enough for me. I went with the L and they are just barely not too big. There needs to be an M+ size or something. I suggest trying some on for size before you buy.

well my LBS has some that were going to get thrown away and were the same as my other one’s and since the price was free thats what im flying right now, but pretty soon i think im going to get the ODI rogue grips, but im not sure what i have to buy, are there things that you have to buy to make them lock on or what cuz i found them on jensonUSA for $9.99 which just seems too cheap…

is that really all i need?

what your looking at is just the core, youll want to get the bonus pack, that includes everything you need to install your grips, heres a link to the grips http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … +Pack.aspx

just started using the ergon ga1’s they look like conventional grips but with some extra contours. So far so good.

i love my ODI grips. I dont have any more numbness in my hands with or without gloves. I had to put gloves on yesterday though bc it was so hot. I need to invest in some wristbands.

You shouldnt be disappointed with those grips.

what do wristpads do?

It will help absorb the sweat coming off my arms and not run to my hands. It made the grips really slick.

Just get ya some light weight gloves. The hand protection and all weather grip make them worth a little warmth.

i have some decent gloves, I just dont like wearing them for some reason. Just preference I guess.

i see. I’ve been wearing gloves or knucklers since my first ride. My hands were sliding all over the grips. Gloves help with all the thorns and branches that like to scrape you as you cut the corners too.

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.