slipping gears

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

My bike is not very old but to me seems like it’s falling apart… I just replaced the brakes on the rear because they wouldn’t grip the tire at all no matter how I adjusted them. Now, my gears are slipping. Especially when I pedal real hard to pick up speed or climb uphill. When I switch to a lower gear I have to go all the way to first for it to even move and it doesn’t go all the way to first, I think it stops in 2nd. I’ve adjusted the H and L screws but can’t seem to get it right… Any suggestions?

Check your cable tension. You mentioned your bike isn’t that old – have you adjusted everything after cable stretching/break-in?? Also, check your rear derailleur hanger if gears are slipping, it may be bent.

"Beaker" wrote

Check your cable tension. You mentioned your bike isn’t that old – have you adjusted everything after cable stretching/break-in?? Also, check your rear derailleur hanger if gears are slipping, it may be bent.

No i haven’t adjusted anything except the brake cable. I’ll have to look into the gear cables. And possibly the back derailleur is bent. Would the tire look like its somewhat crooked? like closer to one side of the frame?

Well i got my tire aligned and the gears seem to be doin a lil better but still not shifting thru each gear which is prolly one of those things that break down over time. And yeah it’s the one in my profile. It is a cheap-o bike but its what i could afford at the time and needed it… I’m working on getting a new one but gotta make this mongoose last until then. How can you check a derailleur to see if it’s bent?

Any comments on a Mongoose Nugget?

adjusting knob is adjusted and cog is shifting smoothly now. No slips, no skips and I got every gear back now. Thanks for the help guys!

As far as the bike… I have no expectations of it at all except for it to continue to malfunction overtime since it is a low end bike. But as far as I’m concerned, I pedal and it moves so i’m gonna hit the trails with it getting more experience and then maybe one day i’ll be good enough to get a higher end bike and not be afraid of beating it up so bad. But for now this Mongoose will do just fine for a learner/ trainer. (Especially on the changing out parts and fixing aspect of it)

Thanks again for all the help. Glad it was an easy fix. College student…got no money…

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.