Slayer SXC: Head angle reducing cups and dual crown fork?

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Slayer SXC: Head angle reducing cups and dual crown fork?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has ever done or thought of doing an angle reduction on the slayer sxc frame if that’s even possible. I have one and would like to make it even more freeride/downhill capable than it already is. I’ve got azonic outlaw wheels on it, deity bars and shorter stem, Fox DHX Air, and some other nice parts but was interested to see how a double crown fork would turn out. It seems tough enough to handle that kind of thing. I just don’t like the head angle. I contacted K9 cups to see if theirs would fit but no dice. Just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience.

You could always get a longer fork than your current setup if you wanted to slacken her up a bit. I seem to remember hearing that the rule of thumb is 20mm is approximately a 1 degree change in head angle. It really all depends on how much the crown to axle length changes from your existing fork. Be careful though, changing it too much will throw your geometry out of whack and the bike will not behave the same. Also, too much of a change can have negative effects on the frame and could cause early failure. Most people will tell you 20mm in either direction should be fine but it’s always safer to contact the bike manufacturer and see what they say.

Sounds like a marzocchi 66 or a Totem might be my answer. Although how could I ever part with my Fox 36? Haha it’s so nice. I wonder if a fox 40 would even work…

Most any dual crown fork you put on there is going to be around 200mm. That’s going to be a pretty big change in response and probably a bit more than the welds were designed for. I’d certainly check with Rocky Mountain before making that change.

Kbrock, check your messages. I sent you a PM.

if you get a fox 40 you can reduce the travel down to 6.5 inches, that would increase your travel only 5mm over what your fox 36 has for travel and it should be ok, but i would check with rocky mountain first

Knowing the Slayer and it’s capabilities I would not really recommend the change to a triple. For one thing you will kill its steering response also the balance of the bike will be way off. You will find that whenever going over a drop or jump that the front end will dive. Also the hardware and the pivots will not really take FR abuse as much as you would believe. Don’t get me wrong its a nice bike but its still what Rocky Mountain consider a Super Cross Country….SXC….Save a few buck and if anything find yourself a Slayer SS or a longer travel Flatline…

Beside sometimes longer travel is not better…Sometimes have the correct suspension set up and having it working for you is better.

The longer fork is going to basically tilt your head tube angle back, slackening it a bit. Unfortunately, as Chili alluded, it isn’t the [i:32ldlvi0]right[/i:32ldlvi0] way to go about getting a slacker angle from a design perspective as it also raises the bars and slackens the seat tube angle by raising the entire front end of the bike, frame and all. This is really going to have an effect on the handling of the bike as you are totally jacking up the geometry. As I mentioned before, it can also put stress on the frame welds that the bike was not designed for. Newer Slayer’s have a 68 degree head tube angle so it would take a good bit of fork length change to get her down in the 64-65 range (if this is what was you were looking for).

I guess we never did ask WHY you want to slacken the angle up, but i would assume it’s to make the downhill sections feel a little more comfortable. Correct me if I am wrong.

If that’s your main desire, it might be more practical to shorten your stem and get wider bars with a higher rise instead. It’ll let you get your weight a little further back over the back tire and the wider bars will take some of the twitchyness out of the steering (if you are runnning into that problem).

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.