Skips Sometimes When I Crank

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

I pulled out "the relic" for the first ride in a long time. Hopefully this is something I can keep up through the winter. I got rid of the bike that I had been riding a little and not liking much and thought I’d go retro until I can afford to get a new bike (also gives me time to catch up on what’s happened in Mtn bike technology in the last 15+ years). This bike will need some worn parts replaced; I loaned it to a friend about 12 years ago and I haven’t really ridden it since.

What I need to figure out is what is causing the "skip" as I pedal. I was thinking maybe it was caused by a worn freewheel, but as I rode, I noticed that when I was on the big chain ring and the small gear in back is when it skipped the most and it didn’t seem to matter if I was pedaling hard or not so hard. It didn’t skip if I was on the big front ring and on any one of the middle gears in back. What could cause this skip under these conditions? I’m guessing a new chain would probably help. Any other ideas?

-Mark

Did you check the chain for a stiff link?Meaning that a link somwhere in the chain has seized up and does not want to move anymore so that it causes the chain to skip.If it DOES have a stiff link and you cannot get it to start moving again then yes you will need a new chain.

can you tell where the chain is skipping? is it skipping up on the big ring, or back on the cassette? the way your talking it sounds like the cassette, and if it is only slipping when you are in the littlest gear, my guess would be that your derailleur is not adjusted correctly. it may be set just a tad too tight, and not allowing the chain to settle all the way down into the littlest gear, so to speak. loosen up the proper bolt and it should help.

Goo has a good idea on checking the H screw,also check the barrel adjuster,your freind might have played with it when he borrowed the bike and turned a few times possibly and taking it slightly out of adjustment.

"Goo" wrote

can you tell where the chain is skipping? is it skipping up on the big ring, or back on the cassette? the way your talking it sounds like the cassette, and if it is only slipping when you are in the littlest gear, my guess would be that your derailleur is not adjusted correctly. it may be set just a tad too tight, and not allowing the chain to settle all the way down into the littlest gear, so to speak. loosen up the proper bolt and it should help.

Yes, it seems to be skipping on the freewheel. I will check the chain again for a stiff link, although I didn’t notice any when I tried to quasi-clean up the chain. The chain seems pretty gummy; any chain cleaning tip?

Double check to make sure while you are there that the cassette has not worn excessively, also take a peek at the chainrings.. If they start to look like very sharp sharks teeth it may time for that as well.

If your wondering if the chain is worn an easy way to check is to try and pull back on the chain where it wraps around the cassette and see how much gap you can get. If it looks like you can almost pull of the chain then it may just be time to toss a new one on.

problem is, usually whenever i replace a chain, I at least need to replace a casette too SO that starts getting expensive.

actually, been having some issues somewhat similar lately. going to try some cheaper fixes, but may need to replace some of those major components.

Well you don’t have to spend a tonne get yourself a PG950 or PG970 from sram they work well and are not too $$..

my bmx bike did this and i looked at the flywheel and rear sprocket, come to fine out my fly wheel had worn a little so the teeth were esensially holding the chain on a tooth, took a file and got them smoothed back out untill i got my 44t oddyssey 4340 aluminum flywheel, just a thought

It looks like I definitely have some wear. When I checked the chain carefully, there was a spot that something’s not right. It doesn’t seem like there’s a tight link, but maybe there’s a twist or bend or something. At any rate, a new chain probably wouldn’t be a bad investment. I’ve included a couple pictures of my gears and hope that some of you who know more what you’re looking at can tell me what you think. Looking at them now, they look pretty hammered to me, but I don’t know (note the broken tooth on the second gear in). I rode this bike literally thousands of miles, a lot of them weren’t easy ones, in the late 80s and early 90s and hope it can be my ticket back into the sport.

Anyone remember these "Biopace" elliptical chain rings? IIRC they were a pre 1991 idea.. kinda like the U-brake (don’t mind the chain rings, but never liked the U-brakes)

If I were to put a new chain on these gears, would it ruin the chain quickly or would I be OK for a short time?[/img]

More than likely it will slip and ruin the chain..

possibly your new gears

So does it look like normal wear on the back gears? (I know the one tooth is missing) Do I need to replace them right away? Are the chain rings in worse shape comparatively speaking? I guess in a perfect world I’d replace the cassette, chain and chain rings all at once. Is there any one thing that’s obviously bad? -or is it all obviously bad?

Pretty much

Now looking at the photo that is 6spds in back…Thats pretty old…

a temparary fix is to file the teeth so that they are normal shaped

"element22" wrote

Now looking at the photo that is 6spds in back…Thats pretty old…

Yeah, It’s from 1987 IIRC. It was pretty much top of the line then. It’s not high tech, but it’s what I rode when I was really into mtn biking. If I could get it working like it used to, I’d be happy until I can afford a new bike. For now my skills are as worn and rusty as it is. 😆

It was one of the first mtn bikes to use a cassette instead of a thread on freewheel and I think I saw new cassettes available somewhere online. I could also try some sort of Frankenstein operation as described here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

My set up is the 6-speed Uniglide. The "8 of 9" process looks interesting. What do you all think?

I see a broken tooth on the rear cog, 5th gear.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.