Single Track Natural Direction Indicators

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’m new to the sport. I am riding a "bunny slope" type trail system in north Texas that is loosely maintained by the local parks and recreation board. It is a single track in a densely forested area with limited vision. There are trail head markers indicating the proper direction. UNFORTUNATELY, the markers cover about 50% of the trails. The rest are left up to the riders discretion.

In the 300 hundred hours of youtube tutorials I’ve been watching I vaguely recall one mentioning natural indicators on a trail that show the proper direction. Things like rut location, bumps/marks in the dirt from braking, lateral slope, and more. But I can’t find it again.

I’ve been out a half dozen times and maybe 10 hours of ride time. I want to be a good citizen but I’m getting frustrated when well deserved dirty looks are pointed my direction.

Can anybody reply with a simple list of things to look for on the trail to warn you that your about to get steam rolled by a band of 16 year old screaming banshees?

Hi Grinder, I understand your question, but IMO, I’m not sure if it is really a problem. I’ve ridden many loop type trails in either direction, and have met up with many riders that do the same (going the opposite direction as I). I will normally do a trail the "right" way the first time I ride it, then will try it in the opposite direction later.

You just need to keep a good eye out if you’re riding uphill for riders coming down fast. They should be doing the same for you. One of the rules of the trail is for the downhill rider to give way to the uphill rider, because the rider heading down can get restarted much more easily. This doesn’t always happen, and personally, I follow the cues of the other rider. Many times you have an uphill rider pull off for you. Just remember that they actually have the right of way.

That brings up another point. Hikers and equestrian also have the right of way. For horses, the rule is to stop and get off your bike. Many times they will stop for you, but once again, I defer to them for the decision, and if the equestrian lets you go by, go slow and always be friendly, even if they’re not.

"gar29" wrote

I defer to them for the decision, and if the equestrian lets you go by, go slow and always be friendly, even if they’re not.

I’ve also heard it’s smart to talk to the horse and/or rider the whole time you’re passing a stopped equestrian. It helps remind the horse you’re human. In case the horse is new to trail riding, it may not know what the 2 wheeled, bright colored weird thing is that’s hurtling it’s way down the trail toward them and it could potentially freak out.

Personally, I’m afraid of horses, so I usually coward behind a tree while they pass… 😀

If there’s not a set direction of travel (as in, there isn’t a sign telling you you’re going the wrong way), then the trail is by default open to two-way travel. Some trails just make more sense to ride one way than another, but unless there’s a signed direction of travel, feel free to ride whichever direction you like!

Personally, I’ve found people screaming as they approach me at a high rate of speed to be the best natural indicator that one of us is going the wrong direction.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.