Single Speed Vs. Geared Debate!

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

For me the answer is simple. Single speed! I have rode a full suspension 26er with gears and now I have joined the 29er SS crew! Nothing makes me feel like a kid again than the pure simple thrill of riding my single speed. No gears to think about. Just my bike, the trail and me! 😃 So tell me what is your reason for riding what you do!

"ChiliPepper" wrote

I will run either, but I do not care too much for the 29’ers. I run 26" geared and 24" SS, and I like either one, though I do prefer the SS on the DJ’s and street.

What is it that you don’t like about 29’ers for trail riding? I just bought one and am happy with it, but I must admit that I didn’t shop many 26 inch bikes after getting fought up in ninermania.

Chillipepper is into freeride, an area 29ers haven’t gotten into too much yet.

I love my single speed, I like the quiet, and simplicity of it all. Like you said, just pedal and steer. And it’ll make you stronger 😼

That said…I’m really wanting to build up another geared bike. For epic rides, gears are nice. I WILL have a geared bike sometime this summer probably, but I plan on reserving it’s use for days in the mtns or big epic days.

"BurghBiker" wrote

For me the answer is simple. Single speed! I have rode a full suspension 26er with gears and now I have joined the 29er SS crew! Nothing makes me feel like a kid again than the pure simple thrill of riding my single speed. No gears to think about. Just my bike, the trail and me! 😃 So tell me what is your reason for riding what you do!

I just have not been able to wrap my brain around why anyone would want to give up their gears on the trail. I don’t see the logic, but after reading you explanation I think I may give it a try. I get that same kid-like feeling as I get up out of the dirt, brush myself off and spit the dirt and leaves out of my mouth.

It depends on your location. ANY bike can be ridden anywhere, but certain terrain will favor that certain bicycle. I love SS simplistic ride, but gears are more practical in the Mts.

I really, really love how quiet my SS is, and how smooth it feels to pedal.

You never realize just how much drag a derailleur puts on your chain till you ride without one.

I try to pedal a single speed using gears. Does that count? Just checking. 😄 Later,

I just have not been able to wrap my brain around why anyone would want to give up their gears on the trail. I don’t see the logic, but after reading you explanation I think I may give it a try. I get that same kid-like feeling as I get up out of the dirt, brush myself off and spit the dirt and leaves out of my mouth.[/quote]

Yeah it is worth a try! The first time I rode mine I was in total awe at the fact of how much more enjoyment I get out of my rides. Like when you are about to hit a steep climb its not "oh crap what gear should I shift to" then half way up you question whether you could have picked a different gear or blah blah blah! On a SS you are just like here the climb comes i gotta pedal hard! And thats it! haha

I want a SS mainly for the simplicity of it all, and the lack of things to break. But I don’t know if I would be able to go uphill without my gears, haha!

Carry SS to the limit and use a rear hub off a track bike and be direct drive. The only need for brakes is to keep the pedals from ripping your legs off on a down hill when clipped in. No guts no glory but what a video. 😄 Later,

I can’t decide. I guess I have both geared and SS for all my voices to agree! LOL

I like to think of SS as a three speed: sit, stand or walk. Amazing how much better you get at general riding when you are trying to avoid the third speed. You learn to master momentum, braking (or lack of braking), fitness, heart rate, out of the saddle climbing etc.

I bought a SS 29" last summer and totally fell in love with a different type of riding. You can hang on most trails in Colorado, with the realization that walking is always an option. At first you worry about walking/pushing, but when people see you pushing a SS, they give you a lot of respect for being on that particular trail with a SS. As long as the trail does not have a sustained granny gear climb, you can most likely get up the trail in a SS. Plus, you can ride with people who have less ability than you and still have fun (workmates, spouse, 6 year old son etc). As a bonus, no chain slap on downhill rides.

And yes, I still love my FS 26" bike for big/epic rides.

I’ve actually been doing a little research on single speed mountain bikes lately trying to figure out If I want to invest in one or not. It sounds like a lot of fun to be able to go back to the simpler days of riding like when I got my first bike and only had a single speed fixed gear tiny bike. I personally think I’d rather get a SS than a geared mountain bike for a few different reasons. One being that it’s lighter. Two, it’s simpler. Three, less to break. Now onto my next question. Where would be the best place to find a beginner single speed? I’ve been looking around and have found

"estenger" wrote

I personally think I’d rather get a SS than a geared mountain bike for a few different reasons. One being that it’s lighter. Two, it’s simpler. Three, less to break.

Maybe you should consider a unicycle. Or better yet, just run through the woods with a frame under your arm.

"estenger" wrote

Now onto my next question. Where would be the best place to find a beginner single speed? I’ve been looking around and have found

what’s your desired price range? You may want to consider converting a bike you either own or one that can be had on the cheap.

Maybe you should consider a unicycle. Or better yet, just run through the woods with a frame under your arm.

LOL, that would be a work out.

what’s your desired price range? You may want to consider converting a bike you either own or one that can be had on the cheap.

I’m looking for around $1000. I’m really just looking for an entry level bike.

For the last two years I have only rode rigid ss (29er and an old Trek 830 converted) I enjoy the simplicity of riding it. From my experience the "I want to shift" moments come not on up hills but on descents and when I come to road sections. I do plan on getting a hard tail to have a little variety. I for one am into riding for the fun of it. It you are riding a ss, hard tail, fs, top end bike of "big box" one, does it really matter as long as you are having a good time.

I will blame dgaddis for my ss addiction.
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/uncate … -a-chance/

If you have an old bike you could always try ss and convert it for about $30.
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-re … nglespeed/

Or just forget the entire gears thing all together:

😛

I just had a ride where I busted my rear derailleur hanger and was without a spare. Of course, this would have never happened had I been riding a SS. To complete the ride, I simply shortened the chain and – ta daah! – Instant single speed and completed the ride.

I wasn’t moved (pun intended). I don’t see myself going SS any time soon unless I could suddenly justify the purchase of multiple new bikes, of which the SS would be pretty far down the priority list.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to being aerobically challenged–anything geared low enough for me to climb on would be little or no fun on level or downhill courses. Living in Colorado, I’m almost always going either straight up or straight down. I needs my gears.

"estenger" wrote

LOL, that would be a work out.

[quote:e9khy5bx]what’s your desired price range? You may want to consider converting a bike you either own or one that can be had on the cheap.

I’m looking for around $1000. I’m really just looking for an entry level bike.[/quote:e9khy5bx]

If you have an older bike that’s just sitting around, convert it to SS first before buying a whole other bike. You’ll realize pretty quickly if you like SS or not, and with a dedicated bike it’s even better.

For $1k I’d look for something used. Check ebay, craiglist, and your local forums.

Redline sells some affordable singlespeeds: http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Redline sells some affordable singlespeeds: http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb

You can get a better MUCH lighter bike for the same money if you buy used though. The Redlines get the job done, but they’re tanks.

I usually advise against used bike, but, with single speeds (rigid ones especially) there’s just not much risk. Theren’s not many parts on them that wear out.

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.