Single ring and chain retention issues

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Looking for some advice from the MTB community…..
      Recently I switched my HT from 2×10 to 1×10.
      Chain will not stay on.
      Sram x7 cranks, 120 bcd makes it hard to find a non-ramped chainring that will fit.
      Seems like the x7 cranks are the only cranks in the known universe that have this odd 120 bcd.
      Will a chain guide (mrp or e13) and a ramped ring work out or is my best bet to purchase new cranks with a standard 104 bcd?
      Money is limited but $150 – $200 bucks won’t starve my children.
      Also the option of going single speed would be good.
      Thoughts, opinions, advice good or bad is appreciated……

Well, 1×10 vs SS is like asking whether you should buy a watermelon or a hot air balloon. I will allow you to decide what kind of experience you want to have in the woods.

As for the chain coming off, one(two really) option you have is to purchase a chain guide. If you don’t want to purchase one and have a front dérailleur sitting around, mount it and just use the limiting screws to set it where it needs to be.

A chainguide will work.

Do you have a clutch type rear derailleur? If so, look into one of the newer style chainrings with alternating teeth thickness (skinny, thick, skinny, thick, etc). They’re like the SRAM XX1 chainring, but other companies are coming out with them in various BCD now. I know FSA has shown some recently, and Wolf Technology (I think that’s their name?) also has some.

Thanks for the advice gents.

Schwim, I like watermelons and balloons so I guess I can’t miss.

Think I will try the front derailleur option since I have one or two in my parts box. If it doesn’t work then I will look further at chain guides.

"jamis29er" wrote

Think I will try the front derailleur option since I have one or two in my parts box. If it doesn’t work then I will look further at chain guides.

It’ll absolutely work if set up right. But it’s ugly, heavy, and will make a lot of noise. But it’s free too, and that’s always nice haha.

Go single speed. So much better!!

Why you should:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/uncate … -a-chance/

How to do it:
      http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-re … nglespeed/

Renthal non-ramped ring, surly cog, Paul tensioner, single speed chain.
      Chain line adjusted and looks good.
      Bled my XT’s.

First ride today.

Film at eleven.

"jamis29er" wrote

Renthal non-ramped ring, surly cog, Paul tensioner, single speed chain.
      Chain line adjusted and looks good.
      Bled my XT’s.

First ride today.

Film at eleven.

Awesome. Welcome to the tribe 😼

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.