should I lube the chrome on my front shock?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

after we wash our bikes we clean and lube the chain what about lubing the front shock or fork to have nice movement. If this is something you should do what lube can you use? I asked a guy at my bike shop about this he said you can but you dont have to he didnt tell me what to use

This is what I do. Every few rides; wipe down forks, shock, and command post, coat the sliders with heavy chain lube, cycle a few times, wipe off excess. Is amazing how much dirt this floats to the surface. Don’t know if this is also helping keep the seals lubed, but it can’t hurt.

As long as you wipe off the remaining before your next ride, I say lube to your heart’s content. Any remaining oils will attract dirt however and will help it stick, burning up your seals at an accelerated rate, so make sure you don’t leave any extra hanging around 😀

"schwim" wrote

As long as you wipe off the remaining before your next ride, I say lube to your heart’s content. Any remaining oils will attract dirt however and will help it stick, burning up your seals at an accelerated rate, so make sure you don’t leave any extra hanging around 😀

^^THIS.

IMO there’s no reason to lube it though, unless it’s part of your cleaning regiment. The lube for the fork is inside the fork legs, kept in by the seals on the top of the lowers. Those seals (in theory at least) keep dirt OUT, and keep oil IN.

I first wipe down my chains, sprockets and shocks with a rag to get any powder dust and dirt off. I then squirt Teflon chain lube on them. It is wet when I first put it on. When applying to the shocks, I spread the slimy liquid on the fork slides and rear shock. I do this right before I load my bike to go for a trail ride. By the time I arrive at the trail, the lube is completely dry and ready to go.

Do not use oil or grease to lube these. They attract way too much dirt and dust. Instead use either wax lube or Teflon dry lube. And make sure that you allow time for the Teflon lube to dry before riding.

"schwim" wrote

Any remaining oils will attract dirt however and will help it stick, burning up your seals at an accelerated rate, so make sure you don’t leave any extra hanging around 😀

I have experienced that exact problem. I used to burn thru seals on my shocks till I quit lubing them so much. 😕 You may also want to make sure that whatever lube you use is compatible with your seals. I’m thinking chain lube probably is not.
      Personally, I just try to keep them clean and don’t try to lube them at all anymore.

never add any lube, just wipe down with rag after every ride.

I clean them but never lube them. I agree with the the point that the lube is on the inside. I think lubing them just collects dirt, that otherwise would not stick. The seals keep the oil on the inside and the dirt on the outside.

thanks for the info i think ill just clean them too

I’m new to the sport – what’s the best chain lube out there ?

the lube on the inside is likely not keeping your seals lubed, unless you have an inverted shock. the lube needs to be compatible with the seals or you’ll increase their drying out and aging- ie, make it worse than not lubing.

there are lubes on the market for shocks. couple of drops around the stanchion, pump it a few times and wipe it off. i generally do it on rare occasions after a ride when i wipe the bike down. i do mean rare. do not do it before a ride as it may attract dirt.

at least that’s my 2¢ on this.

"swaltman" wrote

there are as many opinions about chain lube as there are about tires. what is true to both is it depends on what you’re riding: dry, muddy, etc.

i like rock’n’roll (http://www.rocklube.com/). in dry, dusty socal it doesn’t pick up a lot of dirt. i used pedro’s for awhile and my rear derailleur pulleys were gunked with muck each ride. (muck = lube + dirt) had to clean the chain often. i’ve tried chainsaw oil too, just as bad. prolink was better in that regard than pedro’s and if you need a wet lube it’s pretty good and easily accessible from performance. i have buddies that swear by drumondes, but for the moment, i’m sticking with rock’n’roll.

"JSatch" wrote

[quote="swaltman":ies55dnc]I’m new to the sport – what’s the best chain lube out there ?

there are as many opinions about chain lube as there are about tires. what is true to both is it depends on what you’re riding: dry, muddy, etc.

i like rock’n’roll (http://www.rocklube.com/). in dry, dusty socal it doesn’t pick up a lot of dirt. i used pedro’s for awhile and my rear derailleur pulleys were gunked with muck each ride. (muck = lube + dirt) had to clean the chain often. i’ve tried chainsaw oil too, just as bad. prolink was better in that regard than pedro’s and if you need a wet lube it’s pretty good and easily accessible from performance. i have buddies that swear by drumondes, but for the moment, i’m sticking with rock’n’roll.[/quote:ies55dnc]

I’ve always liked Pedros and haven’t had that trouble, but can’t find it local anymore. Key is to let the lube dry a little then wipe it off. I will have to give the rocklube a try. Do you use a specific type? Your conditions should be similar to ours up in NorCal.

"swaltman" wrote

My favorite is Squirt. One of the longest-lasting lubes that I’ve used.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="swaltman":1cjw4j4w]I’m new to the sport – what’s the best chain lube out there ?

My favorite is Squirt. One of the longest-lasting lubes that I’ve used.[/quote:1cjw4j4w]
      I’ve never tried soda on a bike chain, does that work well Greg? 😆

Somehow the name of this thread makes me chuckle 😄

I never lube the tubes, just wipe off the dirt. Under the dustcover, there is a sponge, that will put some oil onthe tubes, everytime your fork is working (one of the reasons, youhave to service your fork once in a while). A lot of ppl used special sprays for the forks, but the manufactors didn’t approve it. Main reason for it, the WD40like oil, run into the fork and mixed with the thicker (heavier?) suspension-oil.

"RoadWarrior" wrote

This is what I do. Every few rides; wipe down forks, shock, and command post, coat the sliders with heavy chain lube, cycle a few times, wipe off excess. Is amazing how much dirt this floats to the surface. Don’t know if this is also helping keep the seals lubed, but it can’t hurt.

I believe if you check the service manual for your shock it states to lube the stanchions regularly with light oil. This is to help limit the top bushing wear. I rinse my bike after every ride because I keep my bike in the house and that is the bosses (wife) orders. I use swamp cooler bearing oil (it is very light and handy) and apply a very light film then I compress the forks a few times and wipe off the residue. you want to be careful to not overdue it since when you go ride next it will attract lots of dust.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.