Should I/Can I/ How should I upgrade?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all,

I own a 2010(maybe a 2009?) Sette Ace, which I bought because of it’s mix of decent components and weight at a stellar price.

Problem is I just came back from a trip where I rented a bike, and it made me see how much things have improved 5-6 years later. Buying a new bike with the specs I want is out of the question financially, so I thought I’d upgrade slowly over the next couple of years.

Here are the original specs on my bike:
      http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2010/01/18 … ce-review/
      Although I now have a Rockshox Recon fork after the Tora died after the first season.

Anyways, this is the order of what I’m thinking to upgrade over the next 2-3 years, and I’d appreciate input/ideas/statements like"You fool, don’t you know that’s impossible!"

1) Convert old X7 drivetrain to X9 or X0 2×10–This is probably the big $ part of my plan
      2) Upgrade Avid Juicy 3 to something with a bigger rotor?
      3)Replace the Rockshox Monarch 2.1 rear shock with something less bouncy/harsh(not really sure how to describe what I’m feeling that I don’t like.)
      4) Tubeless wheels

Thoughts on my plan?

You already replaced the Recon, which would have been my first change. For your brakes, you can buy bigger rotors without replacing the calipers/levers. You will just need new adapters.

I can testify to the tubeless tires. I was told and read that this is one of the best upgrades to make and can also be the cheapest. I went tubeless and haven’t had a single flat, the traction will change the way you ride because the boundary of your limits will broaden. Once you do, you’ll see what I mean…

My sealant held over 6 months… just fyi

I use Gorilla tape instead Stan’s. Stan’s peels early and costs more. I have heard nothing bad about running Gorilla or strapping tape as of yet. Just do research for alternatives. I have done this for oils/lubricants, hardware, and materials for years from Autos, to things around the house. You get the idea, can save money and have the same stuff.

gar29 makes a good point too. Best of luck and keep your ride posted!

Take care,
      -GT

I agree with gar29 on being able to make some minor changes such as the rotors without purchasing a new brake system. Changing your derailleurs and shifters will be one of the most noticeable changes you can make. You should be able to find X9 or X0 (or XT, XTR) for decent prices if you check various online retailers. Even "last years" model will be a significant upgrade.

But my usual recommendation is that you take any money you were planning on spending and bank it until you have enough to purchase a new bike of your liking instead of dropping money on multiple upgrades.

"Devin_P" wrote

I agree with gar29 on being able to make some minor changes such as the rotors without purchasing a new brake system. Changing your derailleurs and shifters will be one of the most noticeable changes you can make. You should be able to find X9 or X0 (or XT, XTR) for decent prices if you check various online retailers. Even "last years" model will be a significant upgrade.

But my usual recommendation is that you take any money you were planning on spending and bank it until you have enough to purchase a new bike of your liking instead of dropping money on multiple upgrades.

Disagree/Agree here. Upgrading shifters/derailleurs/etc may be a smart move, but only if you have problems with your current stuff. Does the stuff you have not work well? New will be lighter, maybe a bit more ergonomic, but if you current stuff works, I’d ride it till it dies. Often simply putting new cables/housing will make it work like new again.

New cables, housing, chain, and cassette can really improve how a bike rides.

I fully agree that putting money towards a new bike is a smarter longer term financial choice. It’s always cheaper to buy a complete with the parts you want than it is to piece one together.

But, if you want to piece one together, look for where you bike needs improvements, and start there. Tires are a good place to start, and going tubeless is a no-brainer. You can convert your existing wheels (maybe), or buy new wheels. If you buy new wheels, make sure the hubs have convertible axles, that way if you get an all-new bike in a few years you can move the nice wheels over, even if the axle types are different.

"dgaddis" wrote

I’d ride it till it dies. Often simply putting new cables/housing will make it work like new again.

New cables, housing, chain, and cassette can really improve how a bike rides.

I totally agree with this. I always run the components until they die. You would be surprised at how much, like dgaddis says, a new set of cables/housing can help old equipment. And this is a very cheap thing to do.

Just make sure to look at the prices of all of the parts. If you are wanting to do a lot of major improvements you might just be better of at purchasing a new bike. It doesn’t make much sense to buy new wheels for tuneless if you are going to spend 800 dollars on them.
      Just think it through and you will make the right decision

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.