Shortest trail you have ridden that you enjoyed

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

So what was the shortest trail you have ever ridden that put a smile on your face? For me, its a 2 mile long trail that has everything but jumps. It has short uphills, fast downhills, sweeping and tight turns, views, a boardwalk over a swampy area, and some fast straightaways. Best part is that it is used very little but well maintained and you can ride both ways. Plus the park service has built 8 miles of new trails that add on to this trail. They are supposed to open in another month. 😄

Definitely the Moab Brand trails Lazy/EZ loop. From numerous Outerbike demo rides there I pretty much have it memorized.

Probably the Quehl Holler trail at Blankets Creek. It’s only about 1/10th of a mile long, but this jump trail has massive tables and gaps, berms, and a gigantic wall ride at the end. I’ve definitely spent a few hours just sessioning this .1-mile-long trail!

I have thoroughly enjoyed many short trails/short loops within larger trail systems. Living in Colorado Springs, I’m fortunate to have immediate access to a number of great quick-ride options including personally selected hour-or-less routes in Palmer Park, Ute Valley Park, Red Rock Canyon, and Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Of course, all these could easily grow into epics any time I simply choose to take a different turn while on the ride.

As for self-contained, short in toto rides, here’s a quick top 10 from my trails ridden list:
      1. Leverich Trail, Bozeman, MT, 6 Miles
      2. I recently picked up a new favorite: Palisade Rim (Lower Loop), Palisade, CO, 3.7 miles stem and loop round trip. (This does connect to an upper loop for a ten mile total, but the lower loop serves as a self-contained ride).
      3. Turtle Rock Loop, Laramie, WY, 2.5 Miles (also connects to unlimited riding in the Devil’s Playground/Vedauwoo area)
      4. Devisadaro Loop, Taos, NM, 5.7 miles (also connects to Capulin Trail for additional miles)
      5. Big Park Loop, Sedona, AZ, 2.6 miles (however, this does connect to other routes which may lead to nearly unlimited length).
      6. Penitente Canyon A Loop, La Garita, CO (again, this also attaches to a less interesting B loop which runs the ride to over 5 miles)
      7. Baker Tank Loop, Breckenridge, CO, 6 Miles
      8. Haymeadow Trail, Eagle, CO, 5.4 Miles (also connects to Pool/Ice Rink Trail and on to Boneyard)
      9. Rodney Ridge, Helena, MT, 3 Miles (possible to extend by hooking to Mt Helena Ridge and/or Mt Ascension)
      10. Buchanan Pass, Ward, CO, 4.5 miles each way (possible to Sourdough/South St Vrain trail systems via Coney Flats Jeep Road)

Circus in Southern California (home of the Village Dirtbags.)
      It’s a "private" trail that has jumps, rollers, berms, and a few large drops all packed in about half a mile. I sessioned that many times during my two-month stint out there. I really miss that trail…

Locally, it’s the new Chaos trail here in Great Falls. We’re [i:1caweym0]almost[/i:1caweym0] done with it. It’s just under a mile long (I think) but it’s a very techy trail with lots of exposure and some natural rollers and rock jumps. One wrong move in the wrong spot and you’re swimming in the Missouri a few stories below you. 😆

Ridgeline in DuPont State Forest in North Carolina. This trail is flow heaven of speed,some tall banks and even a short log ride thrown in for good measure. Its over so fast you’ll want to link with other trails and just make it a continual loop.

Away from home so far has been Badger Clark Historic Trail in Custer, SD. 0.9 mi It’s a black diamond.

Locally is Jewell Park, the strenuous one that most people sigh at. 3.25mi I love the tight steep drops and climbs with switchbacks and jumps. Surrounded by wild deer, turkeys, and trees. Great fun ride and even better in the dark.

-GT

grew up close to Lake Dennison State park in north central MA. During the off season I would ride the small foot paths between campsites. Some were just 25′ long, others up to 100′. Connecting these short, twisted, foot trails were fun and really got my built my skills. Short step climbs, dips, roots, off canter, rocks, mud, streams, everything but flow.

there were many other not official trails in the area.

Wathem trail in the Horsetooth Mtn Park area. It’s only 1.3 miles long, but pure fun. Would be in my top 10 if it was longer. You have to hump up 2 miles of steep as hell fire road to get there and it’s worth the pain. This is a must ride if you are in the Fort Collins area. Not sure where I’ve ridden a better short stretch of trail even at the classics in the front range.

I’d like to second what mtbgreg said, Quehl Holler trail at Blanket’s Creek is a rockin’ good time. I’d also like to add Henry Farm Park in Jacksonville, AL. It is only about 3 miles long but it is a tough ride with some good little climbs. I’ve heard it has been improved but I am not sure what the changes were….I need to get back up there…

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.