shock rebuild every 3 months?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve heard that’s what Fox is now requiring for the newest, top end shocks. My old Fox I’d have rebuild every couple years as an occasional rider. Are all the shock companies going to this required much higher level of service required to maintain you warranty?

"abegold" wrote

I’ve heard that’s what Fox is now requiring for the newest, top end shocks. My old Fox I’d have rebuild every couple years as an occasional rider. Are all the shock companies going to this required much higher level of service required to maintain you warranty?

Every 3 months? That is insane!

I’ve always found the Fox forks and shocks that my brother runs to have a rebuild/service requirement that I’m unwilling to agree to. I don’t just mean suggested either. Out of two forks and two shocks, all four units have failed, requiring rebuilds at intervals I find unacceptable.

My RS forks and shock however have gone well over a year each with no service at all and no wear on the stancheons or failure of even the dust seals.

Related note: if you send your Fox fork to Push Industries for a rebuild, they replace the dust seals with Rockshox ones.

RS stuff seems to last much longer between maintenance, but for optimal performance you should still get them maintained regularly. Once or twice a year, depending on how much you ride.

But every 3 months? That would get expensive pretty quickly!

I know this is late, but I service mine about twice a year. I went a little over a year with my Fox fork and let’s just say it was due. My forks, I just service the lowers twice a year and perform a good inspection. The air can (rear), I service that as well and just perform a good inspection. If you service them and keep them clean and well lubed, you won’t need to rebuild them as often. I put hundreds of miles on mine in 6 months easy, so that’s why I service mine more frequently. Hopefully, you get it sorted out and at intervals that suit your need. Take care and enjoy.

-GT

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.