Shimano PD-M324 pedals

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone have feedback on these pedals. They are the ones that have a clip on one side and trad pedal surface on the other. Thought these might be nice for the times when I’m taking a quick spin or riding with my kids to school and don’t need the cleats.

Ooops!! Just found a few reviews under the "Review" section…imagine that. Please bear with this noob!!

No problem.

I ran these pedals for 3 years and just this spring switched to eggbeaters. For a n00b or someone getting back into it, I would highly recommend them.

They are a little heavy, but the convenience of being able to flip over to the platform side as needed is well worth it.

I outgrew mine, but I’ve kept them and they may be going on my wife’s or daughter’s bike soon.

Check ebay, there are usually a few ebay stores selling them new for $55.00 or so.

Cool….that seems to be the concesus over in the review section. I ran reg SPDs on my old bike but really want the flexibility of a platform too.
      Any thoughts on the Crank Bros Mallet….has a cleat in the middle of a platform?

Here’s my input on it,

I currently use these and I think it’s great for beginners. It’s nice to be able to have both, you know? Anyways you can’t really go wrong with this set if you plan on doing rides to school with your kids, or doing some singletrack all alone. Also, you may not care so much, but I thought these were a little heavy.

Here’s another thread about what other members use for clipless pedals.

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2928

Yeah, I forgot that part, it’s nice to be able to throw on flipflops and ride to the store or something.

As for Crank Bros, when you get to that point, go eggbeaters.

I really dig the mallets… I ran the 324’s before and had issues with them. I’ve ranted about them before so I’ll just say they didn’t work out well for me.
      Switched to mallet-1’s and never looked back.

Overall my 324’s worked very well, and I don’t have any complaints.

However…

In a really dusty environment like Moab, the clip mechanism gets clogged with dust and it gets progressively harder to clip in and out as the day progresses (I cleaned them every night I was there)

All of the Crank Bros models are designed to not be affected by cumulative mud, dust, etc.

But to the original question, the 324’s are a fantastic way to get into clipless, especially on a bike that sees duty outside of hardcore trail use.

Well. I picked up the Shimanos at the LBS today.
      Since I’m not into counting grams yet, I figured they will fit the bill for a while. Plus I already have Shimano shoes set-up for SPDs. If the riding gets more intense as I progress, I might consider a change. Thanks for the feedback.

Nate

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.