Seven Springs Bike Park Opening Weekend – This Weekend!

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Seven Springs Bike Park Opening Weekend – This Weekend!

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Stoked! Is anybody else going to be there? My bro and I are heading up bright and early Saturday morning.

is a downhill bike needed? I’m just an old fart that likes to putt around, I’m way past the point of catching air!

"bikerfish" wrote

is a downhill bike needed? I’m just an old fart that likes to putt around, I’m way past the point of catching air!

I’m going out on a limb here by answering that highly argued question. No, a downhill bike is not needed and the park only requires that your bike has front suspension. In fact, I rode there a handful of times on my Stumpjumper FSR 29er before Gwin made it the cool thing to do 😆 and had just as much fun as the guys on dual crown 8" machines. There isn’t a drop or rock garden there that a "trail" bike can’t handle.

This year I’ll be riding my 7" single crown Kona Entourage "mini dh bike" and my bro will be ripping on the 29er.

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="bikerfish":2m6ppiwi]is a downhill bike needed? I’m just an old fart that likes to putt around, I’m way past the point of catching air!

I’m going out on a limb here by answering that highly argued question. No, a downhill bike is not needed and the park only requires that your bike has front suspension. In fact, I rode there a handful of times on my Stumpjumper FSR 29er before Gwin made it the cool thing to do 😆 and had just as much fun as the guys on dual crown 8" machines. There isn’t a drop or rock garden there that a "trail" bike can’t handle.

That being said, bike handling skill plays a major roll in your fun factor. If you’re a rookie or not that confident on your bike, the dual crown, plush travel, and meaty tires of a true DH bike will soak up some of your errors and make the ride more enjoyable.

This year I’ll be riding my 7" single crown Kona Entourage "mini dh bike" and my bro will be ripping on the 29er.[/quote:2m6ppiwi]

It’s been a couple years since I hit Seven Springs, so things may have changed. At the time I last rode there, a downhill bike was definitely not a prerequisite. There are numerous trails off the top and most are easily ridden on a basic bike. Even some of the tougher runs have cheater lines or lesser features next to the big ones. I was on a Yeti 575 and only saw one spot I wasn’t comfortable with.

They have a nice progression of trails. Start with the easiest and work your way up as far as you’re comfortable. Even a timid intermediate can have a good time there for a few hours.

There’s also a nice network of cross-country trails there, so if you tire of downhilling early, the day is still not a loss.

thank you for the replies, hope to hit it up this summer, much closer drive than snowshoe!

"bikerfish" wrote

thank you for the replies, hope to hit it up this summer, much closer drive than snowshoe!

Depending on where you are, you may want to give Mountain Creek a look too! Very cool place that also allows progression for the rookie dh rider.

GoPro footy! A rough, non-edit video from my little bro’s chesty while he follows me down the trail called "007"…keep in mind that this is my bro’s 2nd time ever riding DH and he’s riding my Stumpy 29er. I’ve created an animal! 😃
      [url:bcvonevj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzlL-5wuCQ[/url:bcvonevj]

That trail looks like a blast! Better watch out JT, your little bro was right on you!

Huh, never heard of this place. I may visit it if I have my car when I move back to PA next year. Is it only open during the summer?

I’m a XC/AM but DH looks really fun.

"Ginny_Tory" wrote

Huh, never heard of this place. I may visit it if I have my car when I move back to PA next year. Is it only open during the summer?

Yep, only open during the summer. The trails are covered in snow for the skiers all winter.

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="Ginny_Tory":3l2tjdwk]Huh, never heard of this place. I may visit it if I have my car when I move back to PA next year. Is it only open during the summer?

Yep, only open during the summer. The trails are covered in snow for the skiers all winter.[/quote:3l2tjdwk]

Okay. I’ll be staying in PA for at least 1 summer season, maybe 2, so I might check the place out during that time.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.