Seatpost shock recommendation

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

This query came through the Singletracks help desk. Anyone have a recommendation?

I have a Nisiki Manitoba mountain bike with a 26.0 seat post number. I’m looking for an inline seat post shock what do you have or would recommend on this? Looking for some comfort on the seat. -Doug

In my own experience, seatpost shocks are a bad idea and it’s much more important to find a saddle that feels good but I’m interested to hear what others have to say.

The only suspension seatpost I have seen that is any good is the Thudbuster. Haven’t rode it personally, but had a buddy that swore by his.

I’ve also heard great things about the Cane Creek Thudbuster. They have long and short travel versions and you can adjust the resistance.

While in a perfect world you would move to an FS bike, sometimes you just need a little extra damping on a hardtail.

Posted via Tapatalk while doing 60 in my car and staring at my phone.

How about those SR Suntour posts?

Stand up over rough stuff, less tire pressure, different saddle, etc. Suspension seatposts are a bandaid IMO. Suspension isn’t made to make you comfortable, it’s made to keep the tires on the ground, and doesn’t belong in a seatpost.

Even if he [i:2hdjszux]really[/i:2hdjszux] wants one, I think the problem will be finding one in a 26.0mm diameter. Are any modern seat posts made that are smaller than 27.2mm??

MTI

Everything Dgaddis said. The single biggest help for me was going tubeless and running the tires at low pressures. Standing over the gnarly and letting the knees absorb the rough is light years ahead of a seatpost shock. Also get rid of the stock saddle and invest some bucks in a quality saddle with the right fit…oh yea and a good pair of cycling shorts!

You might be amazed at how many people think seat suspension is an actual thing. I get people at the trailhead or around town all the time commenting on how awesome my seat suspension is. "No, that’s not suspension… it’s a dropper post…"

"mtbgreg1" wrote

You might be amazed at how many people think seat suspension is an actual thing. I get people at the trailhead or around town all the time commenting on how awesome my seat suspension is. "No, that’s not suspension… it’s a dropper post…"

There are some suspension seatposts that look a lot like a dropper post at first glance. But they all suck. Lots of hybrid beach cruiser type bikes come with them, usually with a 15lb massive dual spring seat on top. Cushion for miles, baby!

You don’t NEED a seatpost shock if you have a saddle like this (was tough to capture the full awesomeness of this setup so I needed a couple angles).

In case you can’t tell, there are springs underneath a 3-inch thick (and dinner-plate size) saddle PLUS gel cover. It’s like riding a couch.

That can no longer be classified under suspension. That has entered into "catapult" territory.

"jeff" wrote

You don’t NEED a seatpost shock if you have a saddle like this (was tough to capture the full awesomeness of this setup so I needed a couple angles).

In case you can’t tell, there are springs underneath a 3-inch thick (and dinner-plate size) saddle PLUS gel cover. It’s like riding a couch.

Hey Jeff, how is that suspension when you are hucking the big drops? 😆 Nice seat 😃

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.