Santa Cruz Heckler

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Looking to make the jump to a serious FS rig after summer. Saving all my nickels and dimes.

The Santa Cruz Heckler is a beefy looking rig that looks like it would hold up well under my abuse and tonnage. It can also be had with a Fox Float R for less than $1K.

I know the Heckler used to be a big deal in the bike world, but what’s the general opinion on this bike nowadays? I have a budget of $1000 to spend on a new FS bike. I have high quality top of the line parts to put on it, so I can spend all that dough on the frame alone.

Right now the Heckler is looking pretty sweet. Anyone know how it handles straight XC riding? Climbing?

Thanks in advance

I’ve seen Hecklers built up as anything from speed-freak XC machines, to huck-yo-momma dirt bombers….. Because of their simplicity, they are built very strongly.
      Because of their pivot location {high & forward of the BB}, they exhibit less pedal-induced bobbing. However, it is still there, along with the slight brake-jack.
      Still, there are still a lot of people that like Hecklers, and swear by them.
      One of the nice things about the Heckler is that floating-brake kits are readily available, and will fix that little brake bug that single-pivots suffer from.

Have you looked into the SantaCruz Bullits? They have a bit more beef than the Heckler, but are still really nice bikes. I believe that SC phased them out to be replaced by the Nomad.

Here’s a nice example.
      Bullit

Thanks, bud. That’s the kind of info I was looking for. I was looking at the Heckler mainly because of its loyal following and its price. But by the time I’m ready to buy, I might be in a position to look a little more towards a Nomad frame, which is my dream bike.

Thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.