Saddle time?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I rode saturday morning with a good freind of mine on a SS,urging me that I needed to try going SS so it would force me to spend more time standing out of the saddle.How much time during your ride do you stand.Will this help me get past my funk I seem to be in.My rides haven’t gotten any faster in the last 6 months. 😕

Up hills I am mostly in the saddle, down hill I am a few inches above the saddle, flats it is a mix depending on the trail.

Rode a ss a few weeks ago. I do not think i was out of the saddle more then my geared bike. But I did enjoy riding it. My speed has been about the same for awhile, been working more on endurance.

"brianW" wrote

Up hills I am mostly in the saddle, down hill I am a few inches above the saddle, flats it is a mix depending on the trail.

Rode a ss a few weeks ago. I do not think i was out of the saddle more then my geared bike. But I did enjoy riding it. My speed has been about the same for awhile, been working more on endurance.

You also rode a pretty flat trail 😉

SS will get you out of the saddle more. That doesn’t mean you’ll be faster though.

I stay in the saddle as much as possible to save energy but standing on a short climb is the best way to stay on top of the gear. I stand during decents for control of the old hardtail. Long, rough and steep climbs I granny in and spin. Did I tell you fat people are aided down hill by the Polish Astronaut Moe Mentum. Just saying. 😄 Later,

"98special" wrote

I rode saturday morning with a good freind of mine on a SS,urging me that I needed to try going SS so it would force me to spend more time standing out of the saddle.How much time during your ride do you stand.Will this help me get past my funk I seem to be in.My rides haven’t gotten any faster in the last 6 months. 😕

What gears were your friend using? Do you have something that would give you roughly the same ratio?

I would think you could "try" SS before actually dropping the cash on one. Just pick a gear and don’t shift 😃

To answer your question: it depends on the trail. I try to climb seated but sometimes need to stand up for extra power. I almost always off the saddle a few inches down the hill. I have a hardtail so no silky smooth ride for me unless I’m standing. Flats without roots or rocks/gravel/paved I’m seated 99% of the time.

I just got a converter kit for around $30 on Amazon. Could convert your current bike to see how you like it before sinking cash on a new bike.

I’m thinking of renting a SS for a day might be the thing to do.

"98special" wrote

I’m thinking of renting a SS for a day might be the thing to do.

Or just "borrow" your friend’s! 😆

"fat_billy" wrote

I stay in the saddle as much as possible to save energy but standing on a short climb is the best way to stay on top of the gear. I stand during decents for control of the old hardtail. Long, rough and steep climbs I granny in and spin. Did I tell you fat people are aided down hill by the Polish Astronaut Moe Mentum. Just saying. 😄 Later,

Cute Fat Billy 😆

i’m like brianW, long uphill = in the saddle, downhill/short uphill = standing, flat = mixed. i don’t really understand why people buy SS. I get that it’s good for training but instead of dropping a ton of money on a new bike what’s wrong with just staying in one gear on the bike you have?

"limetownjack" wrote

i don’t really understand why people buy SS. I get that it’s good for training but instead of dropping a ton of money on a new bike what’s wrong with just staying in one gear on the bike you have?

It’s not the same. The best way to try SSing is to either borrow one, or convert your bike – you can do it for less than $30. Keep an eye on the Singletracks blog – there will be two SS articles posted in the next few weeks. One on why you should try it, and a how-to article on doing the SS conversion.

It must be a SS thing. Not being able to shift is more manly than not shifting when you can. Also the weight on the gears and shifters ect. is better right. 😉 I have seen some guys hauling butt on some SS bikes and they were gorillias. I’ll just stay a fat old pudgy shifting guy and enjoy my beer. 😄 Later,

Hey that conversion kit is very nice but is it really helpful?

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.