Sabotaged Bike Race

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Tacky Sabotage Mars Maryland Bike Race

Tacks thrown along the race course caused several injuries at a bike race in Leonardtown, Md., Sunday, according to the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office.

The tacks deflated cyclists’ tires, causing some competitors in the Patuxent Velo Cycling Club’s Leonardtown Criterium race to crash. One cyclist broke a bone in a crash caused by a tack. Several others were injured.

Cyclist Bryan Vaughan got video of the crash in which he was involved. He said Keck Baker crashed and brought several other cyclists down with him. Baker later pulled a tack out of his tire, according to Vaughan.

Not a mountainbike race but thought it was relevant due to the recent article on race cheating. Also there is a video of the crash and the full article below:
      [url:2dppt73p]http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/Tacky-Sabotage-Mars-Maryland-Bike-Race-94168354.html[/url:2dppt73p]

Wow, that’s pretty low. I’m guessing it was pranksters rather than a competitor looking for an edge but who knows?

Sorta reminds me of stories about trip wires and booby traps set by hikers to keep mountain bikers off their trails. Eco-terrorism at its worst.

thats just low that some one would do that, do they hate bikes that much that they would sabotage a race.

we have a problem here in the Springs in Palmer Park with hikers moving rocks into the trails to try to either injure or slow down bikers, what they dont realize is that by them up lifting and moving that rock they did more harm then good to the trail, yeah it slowed a biker down or caused them to crash, and thats what thier looking for, but it ruins the trail in the long run. it makes me mad to go out thier on a trail maintnence day to have to fix all the rocks that have been moved or booby traped to slide out under the weight of a bike, instead of fixing what actually needs to be done, and thiers alot work to be done in Palmer Park including 2 new trails that will be added this summer.

hey trailrider speaking of maintenance, let me know when you head out there if during the week like after 530 or so, i’m down to do some maintenance or maybe the weekend, either way let me know….
      but it does suck that there is people out there who have no regard for the safety of bikers on the trails…

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.