Rolling Resistance

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve read a bit around here that lower tire pressure is generally a good thing because it gives better traction. This makes sense, however it also means greater rolling resistance. The Kenda Nevegal’s that came on my MTB are very knobby tires. Today, I noticed that I really wasn’t rolling very well. Now, as an old roadie, I am used to very low rolling resistance 23X700C at >100 psi. I looked down in case I’d had a flat, but while my heavy butt did make the rear tire bulge, it wasn’t flat. The ground was a bit soft and springy, but not wet. If I would like a bit better roll than I’ve got right now, should I try a bit more pressure (easy to try, but counterproductive with the purpose of the Nevegals?) or do I need some different rubber? I’m sure a bunch of you have different wheels for every occasion (not to mention a selection of bikes), but I’m not ready to invest in a second set of wheels yet. What kind of tread do most X-C and all-Mtn riders like?

Welcome to the reason they are lovingly called the Nevergos. Unless it’s wet or loose and rocky where you ride, I’d try a faster rolling tire with less tread in the rear at the least.

Claporte I put a post on MTB Assess and Part for some WTB Weirwolf tires. I just put an update with a new front tire if you want to take a look. I am riding now 38psi rear/35 front.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

I’d try a faster rolling tire with less tread in the rear at the least.

What fits this description in 27.5?

I don’t have a 650b bike so I haven’t really done a lot of studying up on the current offerings in that size. I know the size is just begining to be widely accepted so you probably won’t find a full array of offerings. Pacenti is about the only company I can think of off of the top of my head that has a wide selection of tires in that size.

"claporte" wrote

I’ve read a bit around here that lower tire pressure is generally a good thing because it gives better traction. This makes sense, however it also means greater rolling resistance. The Kenda Nevegal’s that came on my MTB are very knobby tires. Today, I noticed that I really wasn’t rolling very well. Now, as an old roadie, I am used to very low rolling resistance 23X700C at >100 psi. I looked down in case I’d had a flat, but while my heavy butt did make the rear tire bulge, it wasn’t flat. The ground was a bit soft and springy, but not wet. If I would like a bit better roll than I’ve got right now, should I try a bit more pressure (easy to try, but counterproductive with the purpose of the Nevegals?) or do I need some different rubber? I’m sure a bunch of you have different wheels for every occasion (not to mention a selection of bikes), but I’m not ready to invest in a second set of wheels yet. What kind of tread do most X-C and all-Mtn riders like?

Nevegal Stickies are the best gripping tires out there IMO, but the worst rolling. I ran them for several years. In my area where it is pretty rocky Maxxis Ignitors are a popular compromise. I have a Sticky on the front and an Ignitor on the rear now. My 29er riding friends don’t like the 29 Ignitors. I couldn’t tell from your post what size tires you have. I’d just roll what you have until they wear out, which will be soon enough – they don’t last that long with that soft rubber.

"GoldenGoose" wrote

I don’t have a 650b bike so I haven’t really done a lot of studying up on the current offerings in that size. I know the size is just begining to be widely accepted so you probably won’t find a full array of offerings. Pacenti is about the only company I can think of off of the top of my head that has a wide selection of tires in that size.

Yes, I’ve found it kind of amusing that 650b is almost "controversial". 😆 But I wanted to take the plunge to full-suspension when I started this winter, and the deal I got on my 2010 Jamis B1 from [url:1py6x8c8]http://www.sixfifty.com[/url:1py6x8c8] (through ebay) seemed pretty good. I’m happy with it. As a roadie, shrinking from 700C down to 26 would have been a bigger jump. On their site, they are offering a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 650B Tire, but it’s pretty pricy ($75.99). Better pricing on ebay (currently someone is bidding $110 for a pair).

Bicycling recently published some 650 info from Sea Otter [url:1py6x8c8]http://www.bicycling.com/mountainbikecom/bikes-gear/gear-650b-wheels-makes-splash-sea-otter[/url:1py6x8c8]. The article claims that I should be able to find some new options: "For years, the only real 27.5-tire options came from Kirk Pacenti, the primary prophet behind the wheel size. But slowly, more tires have come on the market. The latest: a Nobby Nic in 27.5×2.25 from Schwalbe and the Maxxis Crossmark in a 27.5×2.1. Both are capable "most conditions" tires that are excellent additions to the tire choices currently available. Those options include Kenda’s Nevegal, the Fire XC Pro from Panaracer, WTB’s Wolverine, three Pacenti options and, soon, a run from Vee Rubber."

I’ll probably take CCR’s advice and hold-off purchasing for a bit. I want to get my per ride cost down; and I’m still having occasional bouts of low motivation due to my low current fitness level.

With my weight and such I ride 45 – 50 p.s.i. on my bikes. I have found that the Fire XC tires do pretty well for rolling and traction. At least for me. The bike I have for more dirt I have the WTB Velocoraptors. They do pretty well on concrete and such, just rougher than the fire Xc

"Funrover" wrote

With my weight and such I ride 45 – 50 p.s.i. on my bikes. I have found that the Fire XC tires do pretty well for rolling and traction. At least for me. The bike I have for more dirt I have the WTB Velocoraptors. They do pretty well on concrete and such, just rougher than the fire Xc

Well, I’m about 180, so I decided to try a bit more air — from around 30 to about 35 in front and 38 in back. I hit the trail. I fell, twice. The first time I hit a rock — probably only 4 inches high, but perpendicular; my bike stopped dead and over I went. My first partial endo. Weight too much on my hands I suppose. But maybe with a softer front tire? Second time, I was going along on a narrow track with a slight down hill on the left side and a rock knocked my front wheel down the hill and I went down to the right. Both times I’m pretty sure I would have gone down even if I hadn’t been clipped in. I think I’ll take some pressure out of the front at least. Sigh.

I’m 200 lbs and run about 28psi front and rear. With tubes. (until this weekend) 😎

Nevegals are solid gripping by far, but yes, they do have more rolling resistance. The compromise is the Maxxis Ardents. They have the same solid grip & treading of the Nevegal, but are lighter, and much faster tires (lower rolling resistance).

I was introduced to the Ardents not too long ago, so I tried them, and I was amazingly impressed with the results. I have always rolled with Nevegals with the exception of trying a few others, but the Ardents are awesome tires.

Just my two cents…… 😉

Good luck!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.