Rockhopper Repair Advice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I bought this bike new in 2004 (I think). I’ve replaced the chain a bunch of times already, but everything is pretty worn out now. I would like to replace the complete groupset, but have no idea what will work. I think what’s on it now is Shimano Deore.

– Should I consider go to a 1x11or12? Will this even fit on the stock wheel? The rear frame opening measures 136MM.

– Is there a groupset kit that will include everything needed? Crank, cassette, chain, bottom bracket, etc…

– The shifters are integrated into the brake levers. Will I need new levers if I delete the shifters?

– Do I bother considering doing a disc brake upgrade here? The frame has the caliper mounting points on it already, but not sure if it’s worth doing. Forks?

Probably better to get a new/another bike.

Honestly, with all of the upgrades you’re planning on doing, you’ll probably have (at minimum) $500 invested in parts. That’s probably not doing it justice. There are some entry level hardtails on the market for not much more than that, and they’ll have disc brakes and likely 1X drivetrain. Heck, the MSRP on a new Rockhopper 29er Comp is $650. I’m with GJmtb, just get a new bike.

You guys are right. Going to put a new chain on it and let it go.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.