Rockburn Skills Park Opens

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      County officials and mountain bikers celebrated the newest addition to Rockburn Branch Park on Saturday.

Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts (MORE), an organization promoting sustainable mountain biking programs, worked in partnership with Howard County’s Recreation and Parks Department to bring its plans for the Rockburn Skills Park to fruition.

The park includes what is known as a "pump track," or a "highly engineered plot of dirt with banked turns and bumps, so that riders can propel themselves using only their bodies, pumping with their legs instead of pedaling," according to the park’s creators. MORE also worked to build a network of trails to challenge mountain bikers of varying skills levels in Rockburn.

Read more here: http://ellicottcity.patch.com/articles/ … park-opens

Checked out Rockburn Skills Park and their xc trails last weekend. Sadly, neither were worth the 2 hour drive. However, the trails at nearyby Patapsco State Park were pretty fun.

I don’t want to list everything I don’t like about the skills park because I do not want to sound like a hater. Others may enjoy it, it just didn’t flow right for me and it wasn’t very fun. I do however give them 10 out of 10 points for execution. Had they a little more land to work with, I think it could be truly awesome. Now it’s just cramped in a corner of the park.

The locals and the kids love it and I think that’s the important thing…lots of very young future mtbers out there tearing it up on bmx bikes. Some were hitting (rolling through) the big jump line that their dads wouldn’t even do lol. That part was cool to see.

"jtorlando25" wrote

Checked out Rockburn Skills Park and their xc trails last weekend. Sadly, neither were worth the 2 hour drive. However, the trails at nearyby Patapsco State Park were pretty fun.

I don’t want to list everything I don’t like about the skills park because I do not want to sound like a hater. Others may enjoy it, it just didn’t flow right for me and it wasn’t very fun. I do however give them 10 out of 10 points for execution. Had they a little more land to work with, I think it could be truly awesome. Now it’s just cramped in a corner of the park.

The locals and the kids love it and I think that’s the important thing…lots of very young future mtbers out there tearing it up on bmx bikes. Some were hitting (rolling through) the big jump line that their dads wouldn’t even do lol. That part was cool to see.

Hey jtorlando25, if you haven’t yet, would you mind adding it to the Trails Database for us?

Done [url:30i20nsu]http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/rockburn-skills-park.html[/url:30i20nsu]

Awesome, thanks dude!!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.