Roadie craving some dirt

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Another new guy here, I lived on my bike growing up and then got a car, well 10 years later I decided it was time to get healthy and active again. I bought a road bike in March of 09 and put in almost 1000 miles this past summer. There are alot of paved trails through the woods in Germany and as expected I wanted a mtb bike within a few good rides, as there are dirt paths falling of these little roads everywhere. Well I have done some homework while sitting in Iraq for the last 4 monthes and will be getting a new mtb in mid Feb when I get home. I can’t wait to get back on a bike again, I miss the open air and nature and all that stuff and now more than ever I want to get lost in the woods. Looking at getting the Yeti 575, it should suffice for my first real mtb in 10 years. I will be back with some pics in the future. great website.

Welcome to singktracks btrial,and thanks for the military service abroad,hope you get yer butt back to the states and riding a mtn bike soon.Of course riding anywhere in the world would be cool too,hahahaha.
      Why a Yeti,I’m just curious because the Yeti shop is pretty much just up the road from me here in Colorado and we all here drive right by it heading to the trails on the front range here.

Welcome to the site and thanks for your service!

The 575 is an amazing bike! In the price range, also check out Titus, Gary Fisher and maybe Ellsworth.

Yeti and Fisher are designed in the US and built in Taiwan. The Titus and Ellsworth are designed and built right here in the US. (Arizona and California, respectively)

"steve32300" wrote

Welcome to singktracks btrial,and thanks for the military service abroad,hope you get yer butt back to the states and riding a mtn bike soon.Of course riding anywhere in the world would be cool too,hahahaha.
      Why a Yeti,I’m just curious because the Yeti shop is pretty much just up the road from me here in Colorado and we all here drive right by it heading to the trails on the front range here.

I stumbled upon it in my internet travels and like the design and features and could not find anything bad about it online, I don’t know really, it just caught my attention. I will be checking out the titus and ellsworth in a moment, I also have my eye on a 2009 specialized stumpjumper fsr but with the euro exchange rate it is still a bit pricy, if I can talk em down a bit I may own another specialized – love my tarmac elite.

I don’t know really, it just caught my attention.

Hahaha,a Yeti will do that to ya.Although I have heard of Yeti frames breaking,maddslacker has some freinds that had Yeti frames break on them a few times.I myself wouldnt hesitate to buy a Yeti though and would really like to have the ASR 7 that came out this year,bad ass bike.
      I have the 2007 SJ elite and like it,SJ frames are built strong as well and have a nice geometry to them.Let us know what you think about the titus and ellsworth,I like those bikes as well.

Yeti has rectified the rear triangle breakage issue.

The Specialized Stumpjumper is also a fantastic bike.

So many choices!

So many choices!

Aint that the truth??

Are you planning on ordering the bike before you get home? If not contact your local bike shop(s) to see what they have. When you get back test ride the ones on your list than decide.

Yeah I read a bit on the rear end problems with the yeti, but I was under the impression it was the carbon models. And I am not going with a carbon mtb as I am too cautious with my road bike as it is and I do not want to have any concerns about my mtb breaking, i know carbon fiber is strong and all that; but good old metal is a bit more durable in this application to me atleast.

I looked at the titus and ellsworth and they did nothing for me, I’m sure they are great but just no flare. The Yeti is just smooth and arrogant at the same time and the stumpjumper is my smooth and sleek option.

I am looking to purchase a bike asap but I am holding out a bit until I can visit a few bike shops first; I do my part to support the lbs and am hoping to find a good deal on a 09 or maybe an 08 but my options are limited. I am stationed in Germany and they have some cannondales and specialized and some treks, but even then I am only 5’3” so actually riding alot of bikes is out of the question. I am looking to check out my options in mid jan when I get home and then again when I visit the family in Maine in feb and will order a bike online feb 15th if everything falls through – – which I am kind of hoping for, I really want a anodized black yeti 575!

Welcome

"btrial" wrote

Yeah I read a bit on the rear end problems with the yeti, but I was under the impression it was the carbon models. And I am not going with a carbon mtb as I am too cautious with my road bike as it is and I do not want to have any concerns about my mtb breaking, i know carbon fiber is strong and all that; but good old metal is a bit more durable in this application to me atleast.

On the contrary, it was specifically the alloy rear triangle that had the issue, and it was a weld problem at the joint of the chainstay and rear drop-out. The warranty fix is to replace the whole rear triangle with the carbon triangle. In the local club I ride with, ALL of the 575’s have been fixed under warranty, one of them twice, the second time not under warranty.

Like I said though, they have since found some better Taiwanese welders and have thus rectified the issue.

The ano black 575 is hands down the baddest looking bike on the trail, IMO.

One note: Yeti’s run really big, at your height, you’ll want an x-small for sure. I’m 5’8" and their small fits me.

I’m from Maine…where do your relatives live?

"maddslacker" wrote

On the contrary, it was specifically the alloy rear triangle that had the issue, and it was a weld problem at the joint of the chainstay and rear drop-out. The warranty fix is to replace the whole rear triangle with the carbon triangle. In the local club I ride with, ALL of the 575’s have been fixed under warranty, one of them twice, the second time not under warranty.

Like I said though, they have since found some better Taiwanese welders and have thus rectified the issue.

The ano black 575 is hands down the baddest looking bike on the trail, IMO.

One note: Yeti’s run really big, at your height, you’ll want an x-small for sure. I’m 5’8" and their small fits me.

I’m from Maine…where do your relatives live?

I am looking at the x-small as with all my bike research, and the ano black is currently in stock in xtra small with sram, if that gets sold I will get the white one for a few dollars less but I am wanting the anodized black bad. I am from the central part of the populated section of Maine, Vassalboro – next to Augusta. Not alot of options there but I would like to atleast sit on a couple bikes to say I did.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.