Road Trip Recommendations – Kansas City and Roanoke

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am about to head out on a 2 week trip from Boulder, CO to Asheville, NC and would like ride recommendations for a couple of my stops.  For reference, I ride most everything within 2 hours of Boulder and usually ride Bent Creek and Dupont when I am in Asheville.  A mix of intermediate (75%) and advanced (25%) trails would be ideal while traveling by myself.

I will be in Kansas City on Monday night and have time for 2 rides in Missouri.  1.) Swope Park looks like an obvious choice.  Which direction do most people ride?  Should I be concerned about parking – unload my car at the hotel before riding?  2.) I have time for a longer ride on Tuesday.  Blue River Parkway, Landahl Park Reserve or Berryman Trail?

I will be in Blacksburg, VA next Saturday for a football game and will spend the rest of the weekend in Roanoke.  1.) Carvins Cove seems like a good choice for Sunday.  Do any of you have a favorite 15 to 20 mile loop?  2.) I may have time for another ride on Monday.  Mill Mountain, back to Carvins or stop at Kerr Scott in Wilkesboro, NC on my way to Asheville?

I will also be spending a couple of days in Louisville, KY but will not have much time to ride there.  Are there any must ride trails in the area?

Jealous.  Some thoughts for CC: something for everyone there.  Where to start/go depends entirely on fitness level and harsh climbing/descending comfort.  If you’re into 10+ % avg grades (up to 30+% at times),  start on the Southwest “side” and probably at Timberview parking lot.

The following route is 15miles with a total of 3k vert give or take but gives a full view of most everything at CC except the jump lines (OG and Trough) or worst/best rock crawling tech (rattlin run) but it’s hard core up and down to start.

– Lot to Gauntlet on Horsepen.

– Gauntlet up/Hi-Dee-Ho down (1,000 ft up over 2miles) and high consequence descent if at speed. Classic “upper” trails at CC.

– 4 gorge and extension to Kerncliff (Northside flow trails – some punchy ups but nothing like the “upper” trails)

– Kerncliff to Araminta (fire road but steep and loose)

– Araminta to Hemlock Tunnel (fast single track) to Lakeside

– Lakeside (southside fast flow) to Horsepen to Lot. Let it rip and prepare for plenty of drifting corners.

Tons of options for adding/dropping a bit of length or elevation (super clear maps on any of the websites and maybe best trail markings I have seen).  E.g. Make the start a bit easier by using Trough up and Buck down or get a little air by coming down OG and onto Gauntlet for remainder down. I would suggest not leaving a Gauntlet or Hi-Dee-Ho climb for late in ride unless you’re really fit.

Can park at bennet springs lot and save upper trails for after 4 gorge warmups or skip entirely.

Cannot go wrong at CC. Enjoy!

Kansas City is pretty close to northwest Arkansas,  so if you have time, you should really come check out the trails here.

Some recommendations:

– Coler Mountain Bike Preserve (Hardcore)

– The Back 40 (Endless possibilities, great variety)

– Lake Leatherwood (Downhill trails, was one of the Enduro World Series stops this year)

– Fitzgerald Mountain (Best Trail Ever is a great one)

– Slaughter Pen (Bentonville trail system that kicked the recent MTB explosion into gear)

All of these and more can be found on the OZ Trails site: https://oztrailsnwa.com/trail-locations/

Have an awesome trip! Sounds like a blast!

– David

DG – thanks for the recommendations on Carvins Cove.  I ended up getting rained out in Roanoke but did get to enjoy an awesome 6 overtime football game at Virginia Tech.  I can’t wait to get back and give the riding a try.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.