Riding the CVI Trails in Davis, West Virginia

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

The Slatyfork Shuffle crew was small at this years detour to Davis, WV. Cross post sort of, I tried to mix it up a little.

It was so hot that Friday we didn’t ride til about 4:30. It was still 89F, quite warm for Davis
      We rode out to the CVI trails. Many are quite open

Where is that slow arse CCR?

Water is dark in these parts

CVI, Canaan Valley Institute, a private firm I think that does water and other environmental type work. Nice that they let mountain bikers use and build trails on their land.
      The bad part about going late in the day was the huge thunderstorm that was forming
      We got off the top of the hill and waited this one out, scary lightning though

After an hour or so it passed, sort of. Then it was on to Moon Rocks
      Cacapon on the approach to Moon Rocks.

Cacapon working his way across
      Outdoornut knows all the good lines

Through a combination of dabbing, pushing, and riding I somehow made it to the top

Off the top, heading to HooDoo rocks.
      CaptPhun showing us how technical climbing is done. Not one of my specialties.

I didn’t get any pics, but I really enjoyed the decent from Hoodoo rocks.

Cool double rainbow at the end of the ride.
      Too bad I couldn’t fit it all in one frame.

Great pics, thanks for sharing

Awesome scenery! Looks like you guys had a bit of fun while enjoying the view.

I look at that beautiful land and can never imagine that a bit over a 100 years ago, they spilled much innocent (and not so much innocent) blood all over that area during the Civil War. Sweet to be able to ride terrain steeped in such history as well.

Thanks for the kind remarks Ollysj and Bonzsai-CP. The CVI / Moon Rocks area is interesting in that a lot of it is old strip mines for coal, that’s why it is so open. Trees have come back on parts of it, in other places it is almost like grassland. Moon Rocks itself I believe is a natural rock formation, tough to climb. Next time maybe I will try it as a descent.

Outdoornut did a great job of capturing this ride on video. Especially the double rainbow at the end.

http://vimeo.com/26943239

Great pics CCR. Just last weekend, I think, I saw the discussions over on mtbr about the SFS. I need to make one of those one year. Back in 2009 we went out to Davis. I think I took some of the same shots you did (I pointed that out in one of your Douthat posts too; weird).

The moon rocks were definitely interesting. I didn’t end up riding much of them, but I’d love to give them another try with 2-plus years of more advanced (or, relatively advanced) riding under my belt.

I hope you hit up Hellbenders while you were there. Where did you end up camping? We stayed at the state park, but I know there is a private campground and some primitive sites around as well.

"fleetwood" wrote

Great pics CCR. Just last weekend, I think, I saw the discussions over on mtbr about the SFS. I need to make one of those one year. Back in 2009 we went out to Davis. I think I took some of the same shots you did (I pointed that out in one of your Douthat posts too; weird).

The moon rocks were definitely interesting. I didn’t end up riding much of them, but I’d love to give them another try with 2-plus years of more advanced (or, relatively advanced) riding under my belt.

I hope you hit up Hellbenders while you were there. Where did you end up camping? We stayed at the state park, but I know there is a private campground and some primitive sites around as well.

Yea Fleetwood you should go to one of the Slatyfork Shuffles. Its an informal gathering and needs some new blood as some of the founding members have moved, had families, committments, etc. There was only four of us this year. It is normally in Slatyfork, but the guys wanted to mix it up some. That was my first trip to Davis mountain biking, but I have skiied there many times. Its a cool town that has a really active mountain biker scene.

I will post up some more pics soon from our second day of riding on the Plantation trails, etc.

Check out Outdoornut’s video too.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.