Riding Cold

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

Since cooler weather is starting to settle in I thought about some gear to be used on those cold days. What kind of clothing or bike gear do ya’ll use to make the cold bearable?

I was just wandering, because I have yet to find some practical cold riding wear.

Tight long sleeve jersey as a base layer, tights with wind proofing (yeah I may look like peter pan but I’m warm!), full fingered gloves, thicker socks, and lots of layers on top.

In the past I have used a jeresey, but not a long sleeved one, and then a sweat shirt hoody on top of that. I don’t really have a problem with my legs getting cold though. I have found that if I keep my pedal revs. going at a good speed, my legs generate enough heat on their own to keep warm. I have used long tights with an anti-wind shell, and my legs would actually get to hot, and very uncomfortable when riding. For me it has always been the upper body that I have trouble keeping warm, yet comfortable. Its funny on my part that I never thought of full gloves instead of ‘hobo’ gloves. That would really make a difference in my hands getting numb.

Thanks, anyone else have suggestions.

Hobo gloves are for hot summer days. Get you something with fingers and your hands will be happy in winter months. I’ve gotten to where I use my downhill (full fingered) gloves all year now. Also, they make sleeve and arm warmers that are the same material as tights but only the length of your forearm or calves. I’ve used some of those on long days when the satrt of the ride is cold but the second half gets warm enough to not need them. Much more convenient than regular tights if the weather is supposed to go up later that day. Just pull them off when it heats up and throw them in your camelbak.

For me the most important parts are the extremities. They obviously get colder faster because of the circulation and they’re "out there" more in the wind and elements.

I use light weight wind proof gloves (like Manzella from REI orUnder Armour) and use padded half-finger gloves over the top. This is probably No. 1 priority.

I also use DeFeet wool socks and put a liner over the toes in more extreme weather.

Lastly, in more severe weather I will use a skull cap under the helmet to keep the core temperature nice and toasty.

I’ve also used more poly type material as cotton makes things worse when wet and used many thinner layers. This has worked well for me under some pretty harsh Chicago and Colorado winters!!

That’s real good. Although, I doubt that I will be needing that much clothing as described for extreme conditions. I’m down here in south east. Winters here get to a low of like 32 degress at their lowest. I do have a set of long handles that I use for skiing. They’re like double thick version of an underarmour shirt. They work really good when out at Steamboat and Breck. No reason why they should not work for riding as well.

Thanks man.

I live close to Augusta GA and basically add a long sleeve synthetic/breathable shirt over what I wear in the summer. I still wear just shorts and have found that after a few minutes of hard riding I am nice and toasty. Only thing I would change is full length gloves. I prefer them anyway but lost my pair 2 years ago and havn’t replaced them.

Last year I rode a few times where there were thin layers of ice over the any puddles/muddy areas.

However when I used to bike on the snow mobile trails in New Hampshire I used to wear the same stuff I used when I ski or snowshoe. Tights, maybe a light fleese jacket and windproof jacket. Key thing dress in layers that let moisture out.

I wear a hoodie over a jersey, leg and toe warmers, skull cap under the helmet and an awesome pair of specialized winter gloves…the gloves work so well I use them when I ride my motorcycle in cold weather (I ride that year round too 😃 )

This is all good. Thanks guys. I never tried wearing the skull cap, never seemed to have a need for it. I wear a full face helmet and it seems to keep my head pretty warm, sometimes to warm.

Do you any of you ever wear some type of face mask tht covers your nose and mouth, and possibly your part of your neck? Also, FinsFan, what gloves were you talking about, the Specialized one? Those sound like something I would like to look into more.

There are "neck warmers" and face masks and I have used them in New Hampshire mostly skiing/hiking but at times mt. biking but have used them only in single digits and below zero. For the south I personally believe it is overkill.

If it is below freezing a face mask may form a "freeze spot" do to the moisture in your breath.

Here are the gloves, they are rated to 25-30’F

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_510354_sp … ve_reviews

Well up here in Canada " The Great White North" i use layers about 3 first the tight coolmax stuff that wicks away sweat. Then i use a pullover and Ski pant that fits well and the top i use my Race Face Atlas jacket and occasionally i use my armour just in case. For gloves i usually use my CG1 from 661 or if is really cold i stick with my ski gloves. Ohh and my Hot chili socks.

"element22" wrote

Well up here in Canada " The Great White North" i Ohh and my Hot chili socks.

Hot chile socks 😕 Food or socks? I can never keep my feet warm night riding or winter riding. Probably mostly from perspiration going up and cooling off on the way down.. Open to suggestiions on footware.

Mongoose, do you even know what snow shoes look like? 😕

To be honest I would really love to see you ride a bike with a pair on. I think I would laugh so hard I’d wet myself 😆

I wear thick socks and vans when its really cold, it works pretty good

Once temps hit the 40’s or lower, I used an REI Novara Skull Cap. It wicks moisture and is thin enough not to effect helmet fit. I also wear Underarmour Cold Gear jersey, full length Fox gloves, REI jacket, usually stay in shorts unless it is really bitter.

Does anyone wear those toe covers for clipless shoes? Are they worth anything in cold weather? It looks like they would keep the wind out of otherwise breathable shoes…….

"dauw" wrote

Does anyone wear those toe covers for clipless shoes? Are they worth anything in cold weather? It looks like they would keep the wind out of otherwise breathable shoes…….

Not so much. They are OK for road biking in cooler weather but for cold weather the full booties work much better. The reason they work for road more so than Mtn. is because you will probably tear them up Mtn biking. Unless of course you never put a foot down!!

So how does Boise compare to Laramie??

The most important thing you can do is wear moisture wicking base layers. These will keep the sweat off of you and in turn will keep you warmer.
      As far as feet go I have tried shoe covers, wool socks, ect. I have even cut up and old wind breaker and lined my bike shoes and still my feet get cold. I guess it is just the price you pay to ride in the cold winter months but it is well worth it to blaze leafless downhills and cold hard packed trails. (any ideas here would be great)

Patagonia makes some hiking apparel that works great for MTB as well, great moisure control.[url:373hixow]http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/shop/shop_landing.jsp?OPTION=PBL_LANDING[/url:373hixow]

If your shoe is tight fitting (with thicker socks) it will restrict circulation which means it will get colder faster. I like to be able to wiggle my toes in my shoes, let it be hikin boots or bike shoes. Only exception would be my rock climbing shoes 😃

A guy I know who is a pretty serious rider and rides year round suggested wrapping your feet in plastic shopping bags before putting your shoes on. He swears by it. Anybody ever try that?

Lets not forget our buddies

"Biohazard74" wrote

I have no words..

Well, ok I do.. Pete’s Schwetty Balls.

😢

"Biohazard74" wrote

Hmmm…..Does it come in an XXL 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 Otherwise it might not fit me. And that’s definitely something you dont want to buy used. That’s a first for seeing a knitted jacket for the package. Thats great and funny. But it might get a little itchy.

JDH

Our falls up here in AK are problely close to the coldest winter day in AL. In the fall I always wear a long sleeve "UnderArmor" shirt with a long sleeve jersey over it and my Fox full finger gloves. I don’t worry about my legs because within 5 minutes of riding they are warm enough.

"JDH" wrote

Our falls up here in AK are problely close to the coldest winter day in AL. In the fall I always wear a long sleeve "UnderArmor" shirt with a long sleeve jersey over it and my Fox full finger gloves. I don’t worry about my legs because within 5 minutes of riding they are warm enough.

Yeah u r prolly right with that about your falls and our winters. The coldest i ever remembering it being here was 15 or 14. That was a cold day in AL. What you said your clothing was is about what i wear to. It works great and once you get going on the trail, your body acts like its own heater, it just doesn’t heat your fingers so well, so full finger gloves are wise.

Viewing 25 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.