Ride Report from Slatyfork, WV

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Me and three riding buddies did a ride on July 3rd at Slatyfork West Virignia. It was cool, not getting out of the 50’s all day. With the weather being typical West Virginia – rainey and cool, I was in a long sleve shirt all day.

I wrote up a ride report on MTBR VA-WV forum on this ride, but I think I took enough photos to do a post here without too much duplication.

The crew in a field of flowers
      Into the darkness of West Virginia woods, Right Fork Trail

The Before Picture

Going up Red Run. Outdoornut thinks we lost it hehehehe

Lots of this stuff along the trail
      Clouds move in on us

At the top, we hook into Gauley Mountain Trail

Onto Bear Pen Trail – probably my favorite at Slatyfork

Dark West Virginia woods
      One of our crew came around the side of a boulder and spooked a black bear and 2 cubs. The cubs went downhill, Mom went up hill. Another guy had taken a lunch break at the bottom and we had to wait for him to catch up – and then our route took us between Mom and her cubs. We moved pretty quickly through there and didn’t see any of the bear.

On through some old strip mines

Onto Props Run. A very tough “rail to trailâ€

nice trip report. I have to start taking my camera and giving some reports.

Yeah CCR,nice report dude,you are going to set a precident,hahahaha.Now that’s a mountain bike report…….. 😎 We should all be so inclined when riding our bigger and more adventuress rides…….

That was cool. The bear part sounded unnerving. I remember seeing some pics in the Alafia (Florida) posting of an alligator in the middle of the trail. Gators and bears, I guess thats true "multi use" trails

"ChiliPepper" wrote

CCR my friend, that was some awesome pics, and it looked like a sweet MTB trip. Is that Outdoornut on the orange MTB? That rock gardens would have made my day! 😄

BTW, the finishing pic of you looked better than the beginning 😆 😆 , looks like you had some serious mud thrashing fun going on. Thanks for posting your trip brother! 😆

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Always nice to share the adventure. Outdoornut wasn’t with us on this ride. He was thashing trails in the other WV bog area that weekend-Canaan Valley. He commented on my MTBR post on this ride about going up Red Run. Preferable direction is down Red Run – only those a little "touched" would go up Red Run, probably the most technical of Slatyfork trails. Outdoornut introduced me to Slatyfork last year. My introduction to 2 wheeled mud bogging and we had a blast. Definitely a different kind of riding. The opposite of buff smooth singletrack, but its all good.

Awesome read here also CCR. More good pics here. Guess I should have checked your photobucket page. Kinda wish we could have been with ya on this one. Thanks for the kind words. Do remind me not to drink from the same cup you guys were drinking when you decided on your route though 😮

Gotta love the stuff off Gauley Mtn. no matter which way ya ride it. I’ll post up something here on our 4th of July weekend madness as well. Good ridding to you my friend and hope to see you soon.

ODN

"Outdoornut" wrote

Awesome read here also CCR. More good pics here. Guess I should have checked your photobucket page. Kinda wish we could have been with ya on this one. Thanks for the kind words. Do remind me not to drink from the same cup you guys were drinking when you decided on your route though 😮

Gotta love the stuff off Gauley Mtn. no matter which way ya ride it. I’ll post up something here on our 4th of July weekend madness as well. Good ridding to you my friend and hope to see you soon.

ODN

Look foward to the Canaan Post. Guys I was riding with are all pretty strong riders. They road and MTB a lot and the fastest guy motocross races too. Didn’t get too many pics of him since he was front of the pac the whole time. Guess where I was. The two guys that ride here a lot usually go up Mine Road and loop back onto Props Run, is that "The stupdist ride ever" loop (inside joke from MTBR). One of em was lamenting about riding here 18 years and its only the second shuttle they have ever done (and he didn’t like it). I don’t mind a shuttle if it gets me more trail miles but different strokes for different.

Side note – the fellow I think you met over there one time (J), has called the Forest Service 3 times this year concerning cleaning off Kennison Mountain, said he was going to call again when he got home. Don’t know if that will do any good, but who knows.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.