Replacing a stripped socket screw

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I own a 2010 Trek Fuel Ex8 and managed to strip the socket screw that holds the Evo link to the frame. I believe I did not have the hex wrench in far enough. Although I was able to get it off, the damage is done and I would like to replace it. Any idea where I can find this particular screw? It’s the same type that connects the Evo link to the rear shock, says it should be tightened to 150 in-lbs (which seems pretty high!).

Further to that, does anyone actually tighten the screws to the specified torque using a torque wrench? I have typically just tightened by feel and check them every so often to make sure they are not getting loose.

Thanks!

In case you or anyone ever looks for this… The bolt should be torqued to 150 in-lbs. It’s a lighter alloy than the frame and should give out so that it doesn’t damage the frame. You need to go through a Trek dealer to get the correct bolt and the part number that you are looking for is W305185. Right now they run roughly $7. In addition, you should apply some blue thread lock to the bolt when installing it. Sorry I wasn’t around earlier to get this info to you. Take care.

-GT

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.