Replacement wheels

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Good morning! I have an old Cannondale Super V-800 that I am about to put some new tires and other goodies on. The previous tires are all weathered and cracking by now (they are the originals). They are sized 26×1.95 for HB 575 rims. Is it possible to put on slightly fatter tires on these rims, or am I kind of stuck with the kind of skinny tires like are currently on it? I don’t really want to replace the rims at the moment due to cash. So if it’s possible it would be much nicer to be able to put bigger on the existing rims. Any recommendations?

It all depends on how much fatter you are trying to go. It’s not just the width of the rim being able to accept the tire but how much space is between your chainstays and the rear tire. I recalled a conversation about old HB575 rims and that’s where the bad news comes in. From as best as I can tell the HB575 rims are exceedingly difficult to find tires that fit properly. I have no clue why exactly but that seems to be the general consensus. Apparently someone tried about ten different tires before finding a set of 2.1 Panaracers that worked. Not sure how long they held up. It may be time to upgrade…

Well based on that, and having looked on the web for a while trying to find some, I may just replace the tubes and run on the old tires until I can come up with enough for a new set of rims. The tires should work for a while at least. The tread isn’t too bad on them, but the sidewalls are starting to crack up a little bit. I’ve never had tires do that to me before. Unless I just wore them out before it became a problem. Thanks!

That’s interesting. I just read up on the rims briefly. Sounds like a new set of wheels are in order to me, when you can afford them.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.